Look before you book this Valentine’s Day with food hygiene ratings for restaurants in Norwich

Valentine's Day diners are being urged to check food hygiene ratings. Stock Picture: Archant

Valentine's Day diners are being urged to check food hygiene ratings. Stock Picture: Archant - Credit: Archant

Valentine's Day diners in Norwich are being advised to 'look before you book' and check food hygiene ratings before deciding where to take their date.


The Food Standards Agency, supported by the city council, is urging people to take a look at the latest inspection reports, which we have made available in a table.

The Food Hygiene Rating Scheme (FSA) rates food businesses on their hygiene standards, based on inspections carried out by the council's food safety officers. Businesses are rated on a scale ranging from 0 which means 'urgent improvement necessary' to a top rating of 5 which is 'very good'.

So, whether you're reserving a table at a romantic restaurant, cosy café, or planning on ordering a takeaway, make sure you choose a business that takes care of its kitchen before tucking in.

Cllr Paul Kendrick, cabinet member with responsibility for food safety at Norwich City Council, said: 'We're lucky to have such a thriving restaurant scene in Norwich, and it makes sense to check the hygiene of a venue before eating there.


'With 96pc of food businesses in Norwich currently rated at a 3 or above, we know our officers' hard work is really helping to raise and maintain standards across the city.

'Checking ratings online is easy, and you can also see the inspection that led a restaurant's score.'

Most Read

According to the FCA, businesses that score zero tend to have a history of serious problems and are likely to be performing poorly in the three areas food safety officers inspect, which are how hygienically food is prepared, cooked, re-heated, cooled and stored, the cleanliness, layout, lighting and ventilation of the building and the systems in place to make sure food is safe for consumption.

• You can view the full reports via your local district council website.