Proposal to seek more powers to stop Norwich pubs being turned into supermarkets
- Credit: Archant copyright 2011
Norwich city council has agreed to apply for more powers to stop pubs being turned into supermarkets or being demolished without planning permission.
It is one of 35 councils which is submitting a proposal to government under the Sustainable Communities Act to seek a change in national planning regulations.
At present, pubs can be turned into supermarkets without the new owners having to apply for planning permission.
Mike Stonard, cabinet member for environment, development and transport, said at a cabinet meeting last night that 69pc of people who responded to a consultation were in support of the pub protection bid, with 20pc in opposition.
He pointed out that Norwich had lost 35 pubs since 2004, many of which had been converted to restaurants or other commercial uses without the need for formal planning permission for the change of use.
He said: 'The idea of this is to give local people and local communities the power to protect their pubs, which are a valuable community resource.'
You may also want to watch:
Mr Stonard said it was not a case of 'bad pubs closing' and many factors were involved. He said: 'It could be rising costs imposed by landlords, high rents, increasing land values which make alternative uses attractive, high prices of alcohol in pubs compared to shops, and competition with other pursuits.'
The Norwich Evening News has, through its Love Your Local campaign, sought to highlight the pubs which are at the heart of our communities and to encourage people to use them or lose them.
- 1 In photos: Norwich transformed but deserted in lockdown snowfall
- 2 Are you in our Norfolk school photos from the 1970s?
- 3 Londoners fined for travelling to stay at second home in Norfolk
- 4 Drag Race star kicks off BBC show stint with Norwich City theme
- 5 Tributes paid to 'happy and giggly' woman who died aged 23
- 6 Drivers face non-essential travel fines after spate of snow crashes
- 7 Norfolk wakes up to snow with more expected to fall
- 8 Pizza and Yorkshire pudding wrap takeaway opening in Norwich
- 9 'Village would be worse without it' - Owner on plans for 17th century pub
- 10 'Extraordinary' outbreak of Covid in Norwich prison