Norwich residents endure erratic rubbish collections
Norwich families have endured weeks of erratic rubbish collections because of a mix-up over their collection timetable.
The residents from Douro Place, off Dereham Road, had the new timetable introduced to their area by Norwich City Council but until resident John Cena rang to complain about the rubbish build up, he said residents had not been informed.
He explained: 'City Council said a letter had been sent out to us two weeks before the first collection was missed, but I had not received anything.'
The problems began on February, Tuesday 1 when the collection for the recycling waste was missed. After complaining to the Council Mr Cena said that a collection was then carried out the following day and leaflets handed out explaining the changes, due to begin on February 11.
Residents continued to put their rubbish on the communal landing on the next designated collection date of Tuesday, February 8, which included black sacks and food wastage.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Cena said: 'Again the rubbish wasn't collected and after more phone calls I managed to get them to collect my rubbish on the Monday, after they also didn't collect it on the previous Friday.'
Mr Cena said many of the other residents have yet to have their rubbish collected: 'It's starting to smell.'
- 1 Cannabis factory uncovered in former bar in Norwich's clubland
- 2 Team behind Norwich restaurants reopen closed hotel
- 3 Norwich pub welcomes eight new street food vendors
- 4 Heron dies after being shot six times with air gun in Norwich
- 5 Council to force landowners to sell so £1.3m roundabout can be built
- 6 Restaurant boss U-turn after row over trial shift pay
- 7 £1.3m property for sale on one of most popular roads in Norwich
- 8 Police swoop after £400k cocaine parcel delivered to Norwich house
- 9 Pair led to safety after 'taking refuge' in fire-hit house
- 10 Pedestrian crossing must be in before Aldi store is built, say officers
A spokesman for Norwich City Council said: 'Unfortunately properties in Douro Place have been delivered extra items for a different waste and recycling service than they should have.
'We are in the process of installing communal bin areas for Douro Place as part of our service improvement works to the West Pottergate area, and our door knockers will be out and about in the area from next week to talk to people about the new services that will be available to them.
'We would like to take this opportunity to apologise for any confusion and inconvenience caused, and would like to assure people that our contractors will be clearing any waste that has not been collected as soon as possible.'
Have you had problems getting your litter collected? Contact reporter Donna-Louise Bishop at email@example.com or call 01603 772438.