Historic former Norwich pub set to make way for homes
Time is likely to be called on yet another former Norwich pub, after plans were lodged to transform it into flats.
The Branford Arms had served drinks since 1895, but closed in January 2009 and is set to join the ever growing list of former pubs which have made way for housing.
Old Catton-based Adar Developments have submitted plans to Norwich City Council to turn the pub, in Branford Road in the north of the city, into four flats, with a further three in the garden.
And planners are likely to recommend that the scheme gets the green light.
City council planning policy officer Jonathan Bunting said: 'Whilst the loss of a pub licensed since 1895 is regrettable, the proposal could not be resisted on the basis of its being contrary to the historic pubs policy.
You may also want to watch:
'The conversion proposal retains much of the architectural character of the original building. As previously advised at pre-application stage, it would be desirable to include some form of heritage interpretation to commemorate the pub.'
Civic watchdog The Norwich Society said it was impressed with the proposals. Administrator Vicky Manthorpe said in the society's submission to the council: 'This seems a good conversion with appropriate materials and a sensitive approach to this imposing building.'
- 1 City fan park takes shape ahead of England's Euro 2020 opener
- 2 'People love it' - Landlady opens second pub in Earlham Road
- 3 Two city businesses on the move as mystery new tenant hovers
- 4 In pictures: England fans enjoy Euro 2020 win at Norwich fan park
- 5 Vision for multi-million pound new Norwich venue revealed
- 6 Volunteer hit with £100 parking fee while collecting food for needy
- 7 Thieves swam across river to steal paddleboards from new firm
- 8 Murdered Norfolk mum's bravery has helped family through their darkest days
- 9 Man in critical condition after Norwich assault
- 10 Stylish bungalow to rent on edge of Norwich - and it even has a hot tub
In 1905 there were 363 pubs inside the city walls, but there are less than 150 now in the whole of Norwich.
The Evening News has ben urging customers to either 'use or lose' pubs through our Love your Local campaign.
This Friday the winner of the Love Your Local Norwich Pub of the Year 2011 competition will be revealed in the Evening News, after hundreds of people nominated their local.
To see more stories from the campaign visit www.eveningnews24.co.uk/loveyourlocal
Have you got a story about a pub opening or closing? Call reporter David Bale on 01603 772427 or email firstname.lastname@example.org