Take-away staff did not wash hands after handling raw meat - inspector says
- Credit: Google
A take-away worker was seen handling raw meat before moving on to touch cooked food - a hygiene inspector has said.
Amigo's on Hall Road in Norwich, a mixed food take-away, has been told it must take urgent action after being given just one star in its latest food hygiene inspection.
The take-away, which serves kebabs and pizza was visited by Norwich City Council's hygiene team last month and recently-published results have called for major improvements from the restaurant.
The inspector raised a number of concerns over the way the take-away was run, including issues of cross-contamination and handling of uncooked food.
In the report, the inspector said: 'A food handler was seen handling raw food - placing raw burgers on the griddle - and then preparing a ready-to-eat cooked chicken wrap without washing their hands.
'This represented poor practice and if allowed to continue may cause food to become contaminated or lead to its deterioration.'
The take-away was also criticised for allowing frozen food to defrost at room temperature and using the same cooking utensils for raw and ready-to-eat foods, such as salads.
- 1 Former Norwich restaurant to be transformed into £1.5m food hall
- 2 Family living in city's 'worst' council house despair over new damp
- 3 See inside this 'stunning' £700k family home for sale in a Norwich suburb
- 4 Norwich City star and fan groups back call for drums at Carrow Road
- 5 Mum-to-be outraged after yobs vandalise 13 cars in suburb
- 6 Man refusing to pay rent for council flat over 16-year mould problem
- 7 Extra security measures approved for flats plagued by drug use
- 8 Norwich's tiniest pub completes facelift
- 9 'Torrid time' as insurance giant Marsh quits city centre
- 10 Graduate outraged after being handed tax bill for unoccupied student digs
The shop was slapped with the second lowest rating available in food inspections, with only a rating of zero lower.
The inspector also heavily criticised the take-away's management for not writing down food safety procedures or giving staff training in food hygiene.
The inspector added: 'Food handlers were not washing their hands often enough, were using poor cross-contamination practices and were not aware of the food safety management system.'
However, the take-away's manager informed the inspector that the staff were going to be participating in a level two food hygiene course.
The inspector also said the shop did not alert customers to the potential for cross-contamination in relation to allergens.
Amigo's will now have the option to apply for a swift re-inspection once it has taken the necessary action to improve - though this will come at a financial cost.
A member of staff at Amigo's who was contacted said the shop's manager was not available to comment and would not be there for two weeks.