Literary prize for budding writer from Old Catton
A story of a morning adventure set in woods in Norfolk has won first prize in a creative writing competition for 14-year-old Adam Burton from Old Catton.
The short work, called Adventures of Kelling Heath, describes a spooky encounter with what turns out to be a friendly dog on a dewy spring morning and was inspired by a family holiday at Kelling Heath Holiday Park, which organised the competition in conjunction with the Voewood Literary Festival.
Adam said: 'We were on holiday and had enjoyed walking in the woods so I thought I'd have a go at the competition.
'I've always enjoyed story writing and carry a notebook around with me, but it was a surprise to win.'
Adam won a family break at Kelling Heath Holiday Park, a family pass to the Voewood Festival and also �50 worth of books from The Book Hive in Norwich.
You may also want to watch:
London literary agent Clare Conville, who was one of the judges, said: 'Adam's story was evocative of an early morning walk in woods and captured the excitement and apprehension of being alone in an unfamiliar place.
'It also had a twist at the end, which is a good technique in short story writing.'
- 1 'Second time this year' - Armed police called to Norwich street
- 2 'Someone will get hurt' - Frustration over pothole near Norwich surgery
- 3 Men ran over roofs to flee police after Norwich cannabis factory raid
- 4 Langleys toy shop building for rent for £45,000 a year
- 5 'Unacceptable': Council hits out at soiled clothing left in public toilets
- 6 Why Norwich must stop Debenhams becoming city centre black hole
- 7 CCTV shows man who used stolen bank card at three Norwich stores
- 8 'We offered £20k over and still lost out': Frantic housing market revealed
- 9 Hopes for a summer reopening of popular park café
- 10 Elton John to kick off UK leg of farewell tour at Carrow Road
The winning entries can be read at www.kellingheath.co.uk