Literary prize for budding writer from Old Catton
A story of a morning adventure set in woods in Norfolk has won first prize in a creative writing competition for 14-year-old Adam Burton from Old Catton.
The short work, called Adventures of Kelling Heath, describes a spooky encounter with what turns out to be a friendly dog on a dewy spring morning and was inspired by a family holiday at Kelling Heath Holiday Park, which organised the competition in conjunction with the Voewood Literary Festival.
Adam said: 'We were on holiday and had enjoyed walking in the woods so I thought I'd have a go at the competition.
'I've always enjoyed story writing and carry a notebook around with me, but it was a surprise to win.'
Adam won a family break at Kelling Heath Holiday Park, a family pass to the Voewood Festival and also �50 worth of books from The Book Hive in Norwich.
You may also want to watch:
London literary agent Clare Conville, who was one of the judges, said: 'Adam's story was evocative of an early morning walk in woods and captured the excitement and apprehension of being alone in an unfamiliar place.
'It also had a twist at the end, which is a good technique in short story writing.'
- 1 Two men in critical condition as multiple people stabbed
- 2 Police swoop on Norwich address
- 3 Eight men arrested after multiple stabbing in Norwich
- 4 Charity boss in battle with driver who keeps nicking loading space
- 5 Norwich cat torturer who murdered pensioner ‘planned to carry on killing’
- 6 Norwich man crowned Britain's Best Young Chef
- 7 Tenants living in freezing, dark flats after power went out FIVE days ago
- 8 Asda and Amazon urgently recall items due to safety concerns
- 9 Speed signs to FINALLY be installed at 'accident hotspot'
- 10 Owner of popular bakery rushed into intensive care 120 miles from home
The winning entries can be read at www.kellingheath.co.uk