Santa’s drive-thru grotto organisers threatened with legal action over name
- Credit: Submitted
Organisers of the drive-thru Santa’s grotto that sparked complaints from visitors are being threatened with legal action over its name.
Campaign group We Make Events has moved to distance itself from the beleaguered festive event in the grounds of Taverham Hall, just outside Norwich.
The attraction, which opened on Friday night promising a socially distanced way to see Santa, has been subject to a barrage of complaints.
It was branded ‘shambolic’ by some visitors who faced hours in queuing traffic and were unhappy about the quality of the experience.
The attraction was billed as having been organised “on behalf of We Make Events”.
But the group behind the national We Make Events campaign said it was “in no way associated with the event or its organisers.”
In a tweet the group added: “We are exploring legal options to prevent the organisers from using our name.”
Trade association PLASA (Professional Lighting and Sound Association) began the #WeMakeEvents campaign in May to support the professionals in the arts industry amid the coronavirus shut down.
- 1 From £35k to homeless: Why rough sleepers struggle to get a job
- 2 Boss ordered to build road 15 years ago battles to clear name
- 3 'Not our fault' - City man hits back on abandoned caravan after land dispute
- 4 'I lived in the woods for 20 years': How Sean is starting new life
- 5 Burglars smash way into Patisserie Valerie and nab cash
- 6 Car hits lamppost after two-car crash in Norwich
- 7 'A palace reborn': Inside the £13.5m revamp of Norwich Castle
- 8 Greater Anglia application to demolish train station building thrown out
- 9 Obituary: Doctor, and son of Norwich's recycling empire founder, dies aged 69
- 10 One person taken to hospital after three-car crash on A47
In August it held a national event that saw buildings including Tate Modern, the London Eye, and the National Theatre lit up red to highlight the issue.
The organisers of the Taverham event, who issued a statement on Sunday, confirmed they were not linked to We Make Events, adding: “this is a local events company which is nothing to do with the national campaign”.
Ollie George, producer of Santa’s Drive-Thru Grotto, said: “We have taken on board the complaints and concerns that we have received since launching the event at Taverham Hall.
“We are doing our best to improve the event. There has been some positive feedback but we are aware of the concerns about traffic delays, particularly during the busiest periods, and we are working to address those."