Leading poet to visit Norwich
Kim BriscoeA poet who has gained a 'must-read' reputation will be coming to Norwich this month,Kim Briscoe
A poet who has gained a 'must-read' reputation will be coming to Norwich this month,
Award-winning poet Don Paterson is visiting the University of East Anglia (UEA) later this month to read from his latest work.
The Scottish poet was recently named winner of the Queen's Gold Medal for Poetry.
Poet Laureate Carol Ann Duffy, who chaired the judging panel, described his work as 'poetry of bravery and conviction'. Established in 1933, the medal's previous winners include Sir John Betjeman, Ted Hughes and WH Auden.
You may also want to watch:
Paterson, who is also twice-winner of the TS Eliot Prize, will kick off UEA's international literary festival with a reading next Tuesday, January 26.
Poet and festival director Prof Lavinia Greenlaw, of UEA's School of Literature and Creative Writing, said: 'I am delighted that Don will be launching our latest festival. This year we have made a highlight of poetry and are working in association with The Poetry Trust in order to develop our poetry audience.
- 1 'Second time this year' - Armed police called to Norwich street
- 2 Langleys toy shop building for rent for £45,000 a year
- 3 Driver cut from vehicle after crash on Norwich ring road
- 4 Campaigners angry as park hedge cut down for tennis court scheme
- 5 'Unacceptable': Council hits out at soiled clothing left in public toilets
- 6 CCTV shows man who used stolen bank card at three Norwich stores
- 7 Glass smashed and racist graffiti sprayed onto Norwich house
- 8 Why your phone might warn you of a 'terror attack' today
- 9 Norwich woman's new cookie company has 'gone crazy'
- 10 Why Norwich must stop Debenhams becoming city centre black hole
'Several of the writers, including Don Paterson, have also agreed to spend time with some of our creative writing students, who will benefit hugely from their insight and expertise.'
Other writers taking part in this year's festival include Esther Freud, Joanne Harris, Jim Crace, and celebrated poets Robin Robertson and Simon Armitage.
All events take place in Lecture Theatre One at UEA and begin at 7pm, with doors open from 6.30pm.
Season tickets are priced �42, or �36 for concessions, and individual tickets are �6.
Poetry passports, offering three tickets for the price of two, are valid for Don Paterson, Robin Robertson and Simon Armitage and are available for �12. Tickets are available from the UEA Box Office on 01603 508050 or online at www.ueaticketbookings.co.uk/events/.
For more information visit www.uea.ac.uk/litfest