Large blaze at food processing plant
Dan GrimmerAn investigation is underway to find the cause of a major fire at a Norfolk food processing plant.Fire officers received a call at about 9.30pm last night about a 'well-developed' fire at Watton Produce in Hargham Road, Shropham, Attleborough.Dan Grimmer
An investigation is underway to find the cause of a major fire at a Norfolk food processing plant.
Fire officers received a call at about 9.30pm last night about a 'well-developed' fire at Watton Produce in Hargham Road, Shropham, Attleborough.
The blaze was in a small part of the plant and it was estimated by the time crews arrive it had covered an area of 50m x 50m.
Crews from at least 10 stations across the county, including Hethersett, Hingham, Wymondham, Sprowston, Diss and Long Stratton, worked together to control the blaze.
You may also want to watch:
Andy Heginbotham, group manager for Breckland at Norfolk Fire Service, said it was not yet clear how the fire started.
'We have an investigation team on scene who will probably be there most of the day trying to establish what happened,' he said. 'Thanks to our crews doing some positive fire fighting the blaze was bought under control and was limited to a small section of the site.
- 1 'Our lives are being destroyed': Neighbours' despair over noisy students
- 2 Pupil taken to hospital after incident at Thorpe St Andrew school
- 3 'The final straw' - Bakery fears closure over council plans
- 4 Man found dead at Thorpe St Andrew home
- 5 Diversions in place on A47 near Norwich due to flooding
- 6 'Dream come true': Norwich restaurant wins national award
- 7 Norwich man wanted by police
- 8 See inside this quirky bungalow for sale near Norwich railway station
- 9 Mum's pleas to move house denied despite GP's concerns over wellbeing
- 10 Norwich man convicted of murder boasts of mutilating 'up to 30' cats
'Nobody was injured but equipment used for food processing such as conveyor belts and storage boxes were obviously badly damaged.'
Watton produce supply over 40,000 tonnes of carrots and parsnips to the retail, food service and wholesale markets per year.
The Hargham Road site comprises of a number of production units used for washing, packing and preparing a wide variety of the vegetables.