Large blaze at food processing plant
Dan GrimmerAn investigation is underway to find the cause of a major fire at a Norfolk food processing plant.Fire officers received a call at about 9.30pm last night about a 'well-developed' fire at Watton Produce in Hargham Road, Shropham, Attleborough.Dan Grimmer
An investigation is underway to find the cause of a major fire at a Norfolk food processing plant.
Fire officers received a call at about 9.30pm last night about a 'well-developed' fire at Watton Produce in Hargham Road, Shropham, Attleborough.
The blaze was in a small part of the plant and it was estimated by the time crews arrive it had covered an area of 50m x 50m.
Crews from at least 10 stations across the county, including Hethersett, Hingham, Wymondham, Sprowston, Diss and Long Stratton, worked together to control the blaze.
You may also want to watch:
Andy Heginbotham, group manager for Breckland at Norfolk Fire Service, said it was not yet clear how the fire started.
'We have an investigation team on scene who will probably be there most of the day trying to establish what happened,' he said. 'Thanks to our crews doing some positive fire fighting the blaze was bought under control and was limited to a small section of the site.
- 1 Queues and tunes as life returns to city on Saturday after shops reopen
- 2 Man detained under mental health act after Norwich disturbance
- 3 Man charged with murder after fatal stabbing in Thorpe
- 4 City beer gardens heaving as lockdown eases and Norwich City promoted
- 5 NORWICH CITY ARE PROMOTED TO THE PREMIER LEAGUE
- 6 Kill the Bill protestors take to Norwich streets
- 7 Two Norwich fish and chip shops named among top 50 in the country
- 8 Probe into woman's death continues following suspected arson
- 9 Hunt for silver VW Golf after man seriously injured in hit-and-run
- 10 Norwich City fans gather at Carrow Road to celebrate promotion
'Nobody was injured but equipment used for food processing such as conveyor belts and storage boxes were obviously badly damaged.'
Watton produce supply over 40,000 tonnes of carrots and parsnips to the retail, food service and wholesale markets per year.
The Hargham Road site comprises of a number of production units used for washing, packing and preparing a wide variety of the vegetables.