Lakenham Hewett Minis pull a Mini
A youth rugby team showed off their strength this afternoon as they pulled a car across their pitch.
Lakenham Hewett Rugby Club Minis, pictured, pulled a Mini as part of a fundraising day at the club's base in Norwich Road, Swardeston.
And the 18 children, aged between 5 and 11, enjoyed the experience so much they had a couple of goes at it.
Volunteer youth co-ordinator Louise Rooney said 'They did it twice. As it was so easy for them the first time they wanted to do it again.' The second time was harder going for the junior rugby players as the passenger, a parent, left the handbrake on, however they still managed to pull it.
What made the achievement even greater was that the Minis team had been through a full training session that morning.
Mrs Rooney said the day went extremely well, with many enjoying an auction, cake sale, tombola, a raffle and a competition to guess how far the car could be pulled.
She said: 'It went fantastically well. On the first count we've raised almost �1,000.' The event had been organised to help raise funds for the youth team which, in three years, has seen its membership increase from just two to 20 boys and girls.
- 1 House swap sees woman move into home infested with fleas
- 2 M&S to close 32 stores as part of move away from town centres
- 3 £3,000 worth of beauty products stolen from Sainsbury's store
- 4 Your chance to meet The Bill star who has moved to Norfolk
- 5 Eight-bed detached house in NR3 up for auction for £300k
- 6 Woman with incurable cancer left devastated after car and jewellery stolen
- 7 Sweet Briar Road 'still on track' to reopen by end of May
- 8 High-end boutique reopens in its former shop
- 9 Party in the Park coming to Norwich with global food, stalls and music
- 10 Norwich man wins jackpot on BBC game show Pointless
The club particularly needed transport for their young team, however, after the loan of a minibus was offered, the money can be used to help train someone to drive it and towards other club funds. The team trains every Sunday morning between 10.30am and noon.
For more information about joining call 07849848439 or visit www.pitchero.com photo: sonya duncan