Lakenham and Hewett minis to pull a mini
A youth rugby team will be pulling a car across their pitch this Sunday as they raise money for the expanding club.
Lakenham Hewett Rugby Club under 11s, or Minis, will be pulling a Mini across their pitch as part of a fundraising day at the club's base in Norwich Road, Swardeston.
Volunteer youth co-ordinator Louise Rooney said: 'Minis pulling a Mini is very catchy, and the children are very excited to get sponsorship and to do the pull.'
The brave Minis will be pulling from their shoulders, at 12.30pm, with an adult sat in the car and the engine and handbrake off.
As well as the car pull at the club there will also be a cake sale, tombola, a raffle and a competition to guess how far the car can be pulled by the team.
Louise said: 'The children we have are strong and this fundraiser gives them a real sense of achievement, boosts their confidence, and most importantly brings them out of their shell.'
The event is to raise funds for the youth team which, in three years, has seen its membership increase from just two to 20 boys and girls aged between five and 11.
- 1 Two neighbouring properties go up for sale - and they both need some TLC
- 2 All you need to know ahead of the Lord Mayor's Celebration 2022
- 3 Buses damaged in city centre collision
- 4 Road closures revealed for Lord Mayor's Celebration
- 5 Blaze sees 20 passengers evacuated from city bus
- 6 New pub landlord welcomes back families and introduces street food menu
- 7 Can you spot yourself in the Lord Mayor's Procession crowd?
- 8 Mobility scooter trashed by hazardous wheelie bins
- 9 Vehicles worth £50k stolen from Royal Norfolk Show
- 10 'You owe us!': Furious holidaymakers demand compo
The Minis team was formed by Louise and her husband Sean, who is the coach, and over the years they have been pro-active in increasing the club's profile and expanding the club to make sure there are enough youngsters to make a team for tournaments.
Taster sessions in schools, free events, and even having a float at the Lord Mayor's procession have all been introduced to increase numbers and gain better training facilities for the team.
Now they are looking to raise money to help transport the team to games.
Louise said: 'We've just had a small grant which has paid for our first kit, so the biggest problem we now face is transport.
'Getting the children to the club and events is so important, and something we hope that our fundraising event will really help, as well as attracting more volunteers to help out.'
The team train every Sunday morning between 10.30am and noon.
For more on the club contact Louise on 07849848439 or visit www.pitchero.com/clubs/lakenhamhewett
Are you raising money for a youth group? Contact Local Life editor Richard Wood on 01603 772423 or email@example.com