Norwich cafe launches Crowdfunder campaign so it can afford to reopen
- Credit: Victoria Pertusa
A community cafe in Norwich, which provides a lifeline to hundreds of people across the city, has launched a Crowdfunder campaign so it can reopen and implement social distancing measures.
While many businesses reopened their doors on July 4, KindaKafe in Castle Meadow is one of the places that has remained shut as its current layout doesn’t work with the government guidelines.
They are aiming to raise £18,000 to refurbish the cafe, which celebrated its fourth birthday on Monday, and install new safety measures.
It is a social enterprise run by The Missing Kind charity, who have four venues across the country, and their Norwich premises has the aim of building community and reducing loneliness.
READ MORE: Kofra opens new coffee shop in NR3 The profits from the cafe, along with their Hidden History tours in the building’s undercroft, fund activities and community groups which run throughout the year, such as creative writing courses for people with mental health issues.
When the venue was forced to close in March due to lockdown their source of revenue stopped overnight, which has resulted in losses of “at least £55,000” so far.
The money raised will allow them to make changes to the layout of the building, which includes the removal of a partition wall to create a larger open plan space, extending the kitchen and introducing hand sanitiser stations.
Tom Gaskin, director of Pop Up Enterprises who work in partnership with The Missing Kind, said: “Our building is fantastic from a historical perspective, but it is awful for social distancing as it is a bit of a rabbit warren with narrow corridors and small spaces.
- 1 TUI flight to Tenerife cancelled as it was on the tarmac
- 2 Emergency services called to person in water on Prince of Wales Road
- 3 New Tesco store opens in city centre
- 4 Traffic builds around Earlham Park as gates open for Let's Rock
- 5 Motorcylist in 50s in hospital with serious injuries after tyre shop crash
- 6 Mystery over who needs to cut overgrown hedge amid safety fears
- 7 Parents 'terrified' after THIRD run-in with cars driving on pavement
- 8 Norwich pub selling out on Sundays with new head chef's roast dinners
- 9 Can you help trace this Norwich man's next of kin?
- 10 'I went to hospital with dental pain - it turns out I had cancer'
“If we were to reopen now we wouldn’t be able to have enough customers to make it worthwhile.
“We pride ourselves on offering a sanctuary for people to relax in and feel part of the community and we’ve had people who never leave their bedroom due to social anxiety that have joined a community group and gone on to get a job and rebuild their lives.”
You can donate to the KindaKafe Crowdfunder here.