Keep fit class appeal after sad death
Sam EmanuelLadies at a keep fit class which has been running for almost 40 years are looking for a new teacher after their last instructor - a sprightly 82-year-old - sadly passed away.Sam Emanuel
Ladies at a keep fit class which has been running for almost 40 years are looking for a new teacher after their last instructor - a sprightly 82-year-old - sadly passed away.
The class of 14 women, which is held on Monday mornings at Taverham Village Hall, had been taught by Molly Scrutton for four years, but may have to disband if another willing instructor does not come forward.
Mrs Scrutton, who had demonstrated Medau - a discipline which combines music and natural movement - for more than four decades, was also a talented pianist and played the piano while the ladies exercised.
Val Cowell, 69, who is one of the group's members and has been attending the sessions in Taverham for more than 15 years, said: 'Molly was fantastic and so lively; she put the rest of us to shame. We are all very sad to have lost her. We had a meal together before Christmas and Molly was there, but it's just a shame no-one took any photos as we didn't realise what would happen. When we came back after Christmas and found out she had died it was such a shock.
You may also want to watch:
'We are looking for someone to take over the class so we it can continue - someone who does Medau if possible, but if not we would really like to hear from anyone who can take a general exercise class of mostly older ladies. We don't want to be split up.
'The village hall is keeping the slot open for us for the time being in case we manage to find someone else, but if we can't then sadly it will probably be the end of the group. We would really like to keep it going - it's a social thing as much as anything and we usually have a cup of coffee and a chat afterwards.'
- 1 'Second time this year' - Armed police called to Norwich street
- 2 Langleys toy shop building for rent for £45,000 a year
- 3 Driver cut from vehicle after crash on Norwich ring road
- 4 Campaigners angry as park hedge cut down for tennis court scheme
- 5 'Unacceptable': Council hits out at soiled clothing left in public toilets
- 6 CCTV shows man who used stolen bank card at three Norwich stores
- 7 Glass smashed and racist graffiti sprayed onto Norwich house
- 8 Why your phone might warn you of a 'terror attack' today
- 9 Norwich woman's new cookie company has 'gone crazy'
- 10 Why Norwich must stop Debenhams becoming city centre black hole
Mrs Scrutton's funeral was held at St Faith's Crematorium on Thursday, February 4, and was attended by scores of people all keen to pay tribute to the popular instructor, who also took two other classes in Norfolk.
Anyone interested in taking the Taverham class should call Mrs Cowell on 01603 868402.
Is your group or organisation in need of help that a member of the public could give you? Call reporter Sam Emanuel on 01603 772438 or email email@example.com.