Jungle Book to join Norwich Lord Mayor’s Celebrations
Baloo the bear, Bagheera the panther and Mowgli the jungle boy will be joining the fun at this year's Lord Mayor's Celebrations after being voted on to Norwich's big screen.
Disney's family favourite The Jungle Book has been chosen by the people of Norwich as the film they wanted to see up on the big screen at Chapelfield Plain this July.
With an overwhelming 52.9pc of the votes from Norwich City Council's (NCC) poll, the sing-a-long favourite held off competition from war-time musical The Sound of Music (30.2pc) and animated comedy Shrek (16.9pc).
Confirming The Jungle Book as the winner - following in the footsteps of The Breakfast Club last year and Ghostbusters the year before - an NCC spokesman confirmed: 'The votes have been counted and verified, and we are pleased to announce the winner of the outdoor cinema poll this year is something guaranteed to get you swinging and singing.
'Originally released in 1967, this Disney classic is full of fun - perfect for a summer's evening with the family - so come along and join Mowgli, Bagheera, Shere Khan and friends for a free night out.'
You may also want to watch:
The event is free to attend as part of the Lord Mayor's Celebrations, screening from 6pm on the evening of Friday July 8 outside Chapelfield Shopping Centre.
With popular sing-a-long songs such as 'The Bare Necessities' and 'I Wanna Be Like You', the film looks to be the perfect film to get some summer family fun going.
- 1 Deputy lieutenant of Norfolk sells beloved thatched Broads home
- 2 Part of seventh skeleton discovered in city street
- 3 Coronavirus outbreak at construction company working on County Hall
- 4 Covid rips through care homes again with deaths almost doubling in a week
- 5 Aviva to close two large office sites in Norwich
- 6 New 24-hour McDonald's branch poised for green light
- 7 Could free public transport rescue Norwich city centre?
- 8 Plans for affordable flats for rough sleepers approved despite concerns
- 9 Wetherspoon pubs reveal reopening plan after 'zero' sales
- 10 Nurse's 'heartbreak' over hospital care as her father dies on Covid ward
Event co-ordinator Liz Wimms added: 'I'm really glad The Jungle Book won. It's a firm family favourite that everyone can enjoy.
'The best thing about the outdoor cinema this year is that it's free, so I'd encourage everyone to come along and get in the jungle mood!'
Keep up with all the latest NCC events news on Facebook by searching for 'Norwich City Council events' on the social networking website and click 'Like'.
Are you planning something special for this year's Lord Mayor's Celebrations? Contact reporter David Freezer on 01603 772418 or on email to email@example.com