Warning to others after mum breaks leg using park zip wire
- Credit: Contributed
A mother has issued a stark warning to others after an accident at a play park saw her break her leg.
Jennifer Ballard, 37, slipped on the metal platform of the zip wire in Sparhawk Park in Sprowston on the morning of Friday, September 10.
She was immediately taken to the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital where she has been going through a "gruelling week" of extensive recovery.
Mrs Ballard, who lives just off Mousehold Lane, suffered a spiral fracture to her tibia with the operation resulting in metal works for support.
She has warned other parents about the zip wire, suggesting wearing decent footwear as her sandal slipped on the platform, causing her foot to fall at an awkward angle.
She said: "I do think the zip line line needs a risk assessment at least and possibly another strut to stand on.
"But based on the amount of people who have come forward to say they did something similar it may be worth replacing altogether.
- 1 Murder investigation launched after body of man found in Norwich flat
- 2 Cyclist punched in the face during unprovoked attack turned away by GP
- 3 Flight bound for Norwich turns back to Aberdeen
- 4 Calls for lines to be repainted at 'free-for-all' city roundabout
- 5 Four more roads in Norwich to close for resurfacing work
- 6 Norwich man crowned Britain's Best Young Chef
- 7 Teenage stabbing was 'rival gang revenge’ for YouTube videos
- 8 'We promise to leave you alone': Unusual new policy for shop
- 9 New Norwich shisha bar one of the best and cheapest spots for Turkish food
- 10 'Forced into the road': Safety fears over pavement parking
"Other parents are concerned since they realised it hasn't only happened to them."
Sprowston town clerk Guy Ranaweera said all children's play equipment is checked regularly and the zip wire has been checked since this incident came to light.
He said: "There is no fault with the zip wire and it is safe to use, although I would urge users to exercise appropriate care and caution when using any play equipment.
"This zip wire has been in place for a number of years and I am not aware of any previous reports concerning its safety.
"May I extend my sympathies to the member of public who had the unfortunate accident and wish them a fully and timely recovery."
Town mayor John Ward added that the town council had looked into the issue as "a matter of urgency".
Mrs Ballard described the accident as a "life-changing moment" which others should be made aware of.
She added: "Recovery is going well but it will be a slow process.
"The real victims are the families I work with as a childminder who must find alternative care at such short notice."