Jarrold buys Norwich sports store
Peter WalshA historic Norwich department store has added another string to its sporting bow after it bought another city store.Peter Walsh
A historic Norwich department store has added another string to its sporting bow after it bought another city store.
Jarrold's has announced it has added Venturesport to its retail division almost four years after Jarrold's Pilch Sports was moved to the London Street store to strengthen its position in sports and outdoor activity in Norwich.
Venturesport, a leading specialist seller of outdoor clothing and equipment in Norfolk for more than 20 years, is currently based on Westlegate, in Norwich, but will be moving to London Street where it will help extend the existing outdoor department.
Bosses at the famous city retailer say they hope the move will help Jarrold become Norwich's leading sports and outdoor specialist store, with more than 8,000sq.ft of clothing and equipment from the major suppliers in these two categories.
Peter Mitchell, managing director of Jarrolds Retail Division, said: 'We know that customers looking for specialised kit for sports and outdoor activities want high performance products from the big brand names.
'They want expert advice from staff who share their interest, and they also want great value for money. We have been successful in bringing this recipe to customers with Pilch Sports since we acquired it in 2005, and now want to do the same with the outdoor business.'
- 1 The top 7 fish and chip shops in Norwich according to Tripadvisor
- 2 Nursery confirms closure following financial battle
- 3 'I'm considering living on a boat because houses are so expensive'
- 4 Supporters' fears that Spurs game at Carrow Road may turn nasty
- 5 Man arrested after hundreds of cannabis plants seized in city
- 6 Finishing touches added to new Tesco store in city centre
- 7 Two drivers writing on notepads among 21 motorists caught in 90 minutes
- 8 Controversial work to weld bridge shut cancelled after legal row
- 9 City folk baffled after being barricaded into their own homes
- 10 Fashion boutique to shut with FOUR MONTH closing down sale
Mr Mitchell said putting Venturesport in the same building as Pilch Sports, on a newly-refurbished sales floor, would ultimately benefit both businesses.
He added: 'There will be a bigger choice and a better environment for browsing. By adding Venturesport's long experience in sourcing great value deals and the product knowledge of their sales team to the existing skills in our Pilch team, we will be able to give an exciting boost to both businesses.
'It is our aim to create the leading specialist destination store for sports, outdoor clothing and equipment, and skiwear in Norfolk.'
Jarrold's have confirmed that no jobs will be lost as part of the move and all current staff at Venturesport would be relocated to the new store where they and Pilch will both trade within the Jarrold Retail Division.
Have you got a business story? Call Sam Williams on 01603 772447 or email firstname.lastname@example.org