It’s party time for the Florida family
Did you ever work at Van Dal, part of the Florida group at Norwich? If you did then this is your chance to meet up with old friends.
It is the Norwich shoe company which has survived and today the hand of friendship is reaching out to all the men and women who have worked there over the years.
The name is Van Dal – part of the Florida Group – and it still makes high quality shoes which women want to buy because they look good and feel good.
Yesterday I told you all about the end of Bally Shoes in Norwich and how plans to build a superstore on the site of the factory on Hall Road where the company moved to in the 1960s have been thrown out.
Across the city on Dibden Road, near the edge of Mousehold Heath, it is a different story.
You may also want to watch:
Florida Shoes were established during the 1930s and last year the company celebrated its 75th birthday.
Following your memories and photographs a reunion was held last October and it turned out to be so successful that a second one is now being organised.
- 1 £6.1m shopping street revamp will take half of 2022 to complete
- 2 People in Norwich fined £21k for failing to pay for prescriptions
- 3 Resurfacing works to see closures on three busy city roads
- 4 Enjoy afternoon tea on Britain's poshest train departing from Norwich
- 5 'Disaster from start to finish': Parents slam school for failing kids
- 6 'She shouted for 90 minutes': Councillor guilty of harassing railway staff
- 7 Child sex abuse victim: 'I'm still angry, but haven't let him ruin my life'
- 8 'No help to us' - Mixed views on £6.1m street revamp
- 9 Business fears for Christmas trade if council doesn't fix traffic 'chaos'
- 10 Roadworks to be aware of in Norwich this week
'All are welcome with friends and partners,' said Alan Robinson who is helping to organise the party at the Norwich Working Men's Club in St Gregory's Alley, on Thursday, October 4.
At the first reunion a year ago about 80 people turned up and many hadn't clapped eyes on each other for years.
'We had some from the old Salhouse Road factory to the present workers who are still at the Florida factory today,' said Alan, who spent 21 years in the clicking room. Everyone had such a good time it was decided to hold another one next year and now the time has come around. 'I think we will have even more people this time,' he added.
The Florida shoe Company was established by Adelman Goodman in Norwich and among those at the reunion was his grandson and chairman of the company Simon Goodman.
'We had a terrific time. It was wonderful to see people I hadn't seen for such a long time, ' he said
He paid tribute to the staff, past and present, saying they had been so loyal and hard-working over the years – often during difficult times,
The Florida reunion is at the Norwich Working's Men's Club, St Gregory's Alley – a place where many shoe makers went during the golden age of shoe production – on Thursday, October 4 from 7pm. More details from Alan Robinson on 01603 487588.