Iron Lady fashion comes to Norwich
Who would have thought that Margaret Thatcher would become a fashion icon? As the popularity for pussy-bow blouses and pencil skirts hots up, EMMA HARROWING looks at how you can get the look of the Iron Lady.
Margaret Thatcher doesn't seem like a fashion icon.
She doesn't make you want to run out and copy her latest look. She has worn the same twin set and pearl attire for as long as she has been in the spotlight and her buttoned up high collar blouses and modest mid- length skirts became more of a uniform to hide all aspects of her femininity in a male dominated political world.
However, last week's release of the film about Margaret Thatcher's life – The Iron Lady, has seen many fashionistas wanting to imitate her 80s power dressing style.
Tory party blue is already high in the colour fashion charts this year and now wearing pussy bow blouses, prim pencil skirts and T-bar block heels, teamed with the ubiquitous shoulder padded jacket, is the surprise trend for 2012.
You may also want to watch:
Maybe it is actress Meryl Streep's portrayal of dear old Maggie that has lead this fashion revival, or perhaps we all want to update last year's prim and proper 1940s look by wearing shoulder pads with everything.
If you like the 80s power dressing look there are two ways you can wear this trend.
- 1 Cyclist punched in the face during unprovoked attack turned away by GP
- 2 Norwich mum and daughter duo shed 12st
- 3 Murder investigation launched after body of man found in Norwich flat
- 4 Calls for lines to be repainted at 'free-for-all' city roundabout
- 5 Jets heard roaring over Norwich for training exercise
- 6 Armed police called to reports of man with knife
- 7 Teenage stabbing was 'rival gang revenge’ for YouTube videos
- 8 How Norwich are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 9 Five people spiked at three Norwich venues over the weekend
- 10 Family pays tribute to man killed after collision with double-decker bus
The first is to go down the conservative monochrome route with a white or cream pussy bow blouse, black or grey pencil skirt, grey collarless cardigan (with shoulder pads) and a pair of T-bar platform shoes. The second look takes on the trend for colour blocking with a brightly coloured blouse and clashing coloured midi skirt. Tone the look down with neutral coloured shoes and handbag.
Both the monochrome and colour blocking look are hot trends for spring. So get the look now and you will be ahead of the fashion pack next season.
Find out how you can get each look by looking at our top 'Iron Lady' fashion picks in the photo gallery at the top right of this page.