‘I suffer chronic head pains every time I cough, sneeze or laugh’ – Norwich man preparing for op which could bring him peace
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2015
A Queen's Hills man is getting ready for the operation he hopes will free him of crippling head pains every time he coughs, sneezes or even laughs.
Danny Tickle will undergo surgery at Addenbrooke's Hospital in Cambridge on Monday for a brain condition called chiari malformation.
But before that, the 22-year-old and his colleagues at Namco Funscape in Bowthorpe want to raise money for others with a sponsored head shave.
Mr Tickle was diagnosed three-and-a-half years ago and describes the pains as '20 times worse than a migraine'.
'I get chronic head pains if I so much as sneeze, cough, laugh or exercise. It's pretty awful on a day-to-day basis. I'm quite an active person so I've had to give up a lot in my life to deal with it,' he said.
You may also want to watch:
Despite admitting to being nervous about the operation, he said it could be 'a new beginning' for him.
'I can go back to doing what I want to do, play football when I want. I can restart my life from scratch,' he said.
- 1 Body of man in 20s found at nature reserve near Norwich
- 2 New 20mph speed cameras to tackle NDR rat-runners
- 3 'Is this a wind up?' - Artist's shock as Delia buys 101 of his paintings
- 4 Large estate to have its first food store this autumn
- 5 Former City skipper a frontrunner for Swansea job
- 6 Watch: Woman left bleeding and bruised after e-scooter crash
- 7 Sky broadband issues across Norfolk and Suffolk resolved
- 8 Plans to remove crossing in £440k works branded 'crazy' by councillors
- 9 Norfolk hit by thunderstorms and heavy hail
- 10 Shocked couple told statue used as doorstop could be worth £1m
Mr Tickle will go under the clippers today to raise more than £400 for the children's cancer charity Clic Sargent, the arcade's nominated charity. The proceeds from the shave, nicknamed Tickle's Mop Chop, will go towards a 2015 target of £3,000.
General manager Amy Thain said: 'I'm extremely proud of what Danny's doing and all the staff who are fundraising this year for Clic Sargent.'
Donate online at www.bmycharity.com/ticklesmopchop
Are you doing something special for charity? Email email@example.com