I’m off for a double celebration but don’t worry, your best woman will be back
I am deserting you again next week thanks to a packed schedule which sees me celebrating my mum's birthday and acting as best woman to one of my oldest friends as he ties the knot.
There was some talk that I should be referred to as Maid of Honour rather than best woman, but frankly I am not giving up such a brilliant and accurate title in order to be renamed something that suggests I'm a spinster on the shelf and, worse, have unquestionably high morals.
On the plus side, I understand that I will have my choice of the bridesmaids, be duty-bound to insert a hilarious gag into my speech that causes a newly-wed rift that will ruin the wedding night and be so drunk by 7pm that I willingly take to the dance floor when the DJ plays Lady in Red to perform a hauntingly beautiful solo routine.
In some words stolen from Hugh Grant in Four Weddings and a Funeral, I am, as ever, in bewildered awe of anyone who makes the kind of commitment that David and Nicola will make on Friday and equally bewildered that they'd entrust me to make a speech in front of their gathered loved ones.
I shall do my utmost not to swear, call anyone a pleb or suggest any of the bridesmaids have flat hair but I can't promise not to think I'm funnier than I actually am. Especially if the speech comes after 7pm.
As for my mother, another birthday, another year of unsurpassed awesomeness – she taught me all the swear words I know and for this I give daily thanks.
See you in a fortnight.
- 1 House of horrors: Is this the worst council property in Norwich?
- 2 'Not our fault' - City man hits back on abandoned caravan after land dispute
- 3 From £35k to homeless: Why rough sleepers struggle to get a job
- 4 Burglars smash way into Patisserie Valerie and nab cash
- 5 'Fixer upper' lodge home goes up for sale near Norwich city centre
- 6 Boss ordered to build road 15 years ago battles to clear name
- 7 Store still cordoned off with police tape two months after break-in
- 8 'I lived in the woods for 20 years': How Sean is starting new life
- 9 'Not worth it!': Councillor wants new bus lane ditched
- 10 Has £10,000 prize crash landed in Norwich from space?