Hundreds evacuated from Jarrold's in Norwich
Peter WalshAbout 500 people were evacuated from a historic city store at lunch time yesterday after a fire alarm sounded, prompting several fire crews to be sent to the scene.Peter Walsh
About 500 people were evacuated from a historic city store at lunch time yesterday after a fire alarm sounded, prompting several fire crews to be sent to the scene.
Shoppers at the Jarrold store in London Street were evacuated from the department store after the alarms sounded at about 12.44pm yesterday.
A fire crew from Sprowston, two from North Earlham, and a further appliance from Norwich was called, but it was a false alarm as the alarm turned out to have been caused by cooking fumes.
The police were also informed, although did not attend.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 'Eyesore' bus won't be removed despite neighbours' pleas
- 2 Tenant's despair as council fixes his windows by screwing them shut
- 3 Neighbours' terror as bleeding man found in garden after street fight
- 4 Huge Gothic home on edge of city cemetery is for sale for £1.2m
- 5 Man killed after collision with double-decker bus on A146 named
- 6 Pet owner's fury as mystery neighbour tries to claim her cat as their own
- 7 'Neighbours ran outside screaming' during street fight in Golden Triangle
- 8 Nearly 4,000 people wait for council homes - but fewer than 200 available
- 9 'Our lives are being destroyed': Neighbours' despair over noisy students
- 10 'Significant' amount of cash and electronics stolen from city home