Huge blaze rips through hotel
Sarah HallA huge blaze has ripped through a hotel on the Norfolk and Cambridgeshire border, with 10 fire crews battling to prevent the flames from spreading to other homes.Sarah Hall
A huge blaze has ripped through a hotel on the Norfolk and Cambridgeshire border, with 10 fire crews battling to prevent the flames from spreading to other homes.
The fire broke out at the Phoenix Hotel in North Brink, Wisbech, just after 1am today (Tuesday). One person who lives nearby suffered smoke inhalation and had to be taken to hospital by ambulance.
Twenty-six people were evacuated from the hotel and surrounding homes and at its height, firefighters feared the building could collapse.
Maurice Moore, incident commander for Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue, said: 'This is a really difficult job because of the age of the building, its height and the fact it is a terrace.
You may also want to watch:
'There was great potential for it to spread, causing a significant amount of damage to this historic area of Wisbech.
'Thankfully the firefighters managed to contain the fire and stop it from spreading out to other buildings
- 1 Cyclist punched in the face during unprovoked attack turned away by GP
- 2 Murder investigation launched after body of man found in Norwich flat
- 3 Calls for lines to be repainted at 'free-for-all' city roundabout
- 4 Flight bound for Norwich turns back to Aberdeen
- 5 Norwich mum and daughter duo shed 12st
- 6 Teenage stabbing was 'rival gang revenge’ for YouTube videos
- 7 Four more roads in Norwich to close for resurfacing work
- 8 New Norwich shisha bar one of the best and cheapest spots for Turkish food
- 9 Jets heard roaring over Norwich for training exercise
- 10 Looking back at one of the city's favourite outdoor swimming pools
'Obviously there is smoke damage, but I would like to thank firefighters at the scene who worked hard to stop the spread of fire.'
The blaze was tackled by 10 fire crews, with the help of three turntable ladders.
As of 6.10am today the area around the town's Freedom Bridge and North Brink Road were closed.