Roll up... and try the latest trend in ice cream to arrive in Norwich
- Credit: cp
A picture perfect Instagram food trend has launched in Norwich.
Rolled ice cream is the focus of new Norfolk business Huckleys, which has opened just in time for summer outside Debenhams on Brigg Street in the city.
Created by former taxi drivers Stephen Buckley, 42, and Oliver Hudson, 36, Huckleys creates rolled ice cream delights right before customers' eyes.
The rolling process involves pouring an ice cream mix onto a freezing plate, adding toppings such as chocolate, sauce or fruit and mashing them together to the texture of ice cream. The mixture is then smoothed out onto the plate, allowed to cool and rolled into rounds.
The idea for the business came after Mr Buckley, who hails from Lingwood, spent some time travelling in Southern Asia.
You may also want to watch:
He said: 'I first saw rolled ice cream in Thailand and couldn't believe how successful it was; people were constantly queuing to get their hands on some.'
He discussed the concept with Mr Hudson, who had seen something similar in Stratford. Both decided they liked the visual element of the product and got to work.
- 1 Every Norfolk primary school rated as 'Outstanding'
- 2 Water starts gushing out of sinkhole on Norwich city centre road
- 3 New Lidl supermarket opens in Norwich
- 4 Anti-vax protesters descend on Norwich pub demanding entry
- 5 Neighbours sick of road turning into 'scene from Fast & Furious'
- 6 Despair over fly-tipping and rats in city suburb
- 7 Parts of busy Norwich road to be shut for three days for repairs
- 8 Man and woman found dead in home
- 9 'People make slavery jokes' - Black student on racism in schools
- 10 Car catches fire after early morning crash
'It's great because you get to see the ice cream being made in front of you,' said Mr Hudson, who lives in Great Plumstead. 'You can literally see everything that goes into the ice cream, which is rare and our mixture is nice as there are no E numbers.'
Huckleys is the latest company to sell rolled ice cream in the county. TFI - Thai Fried Ice has been offering the food trend in Norfolk for a number of years and sells its Instagram worthy treats at events and weddings across the region. The company also now offers frozen cocktails.
Currently Huckleys offers five different flavours, including Strawberry Cheesecake, Berry Delight, Oreo and Nutella, Apple Crumble and Custard and Ferrero Rocher and Kinder Bueno.
As well as this the team plan to introduce a new flavour each month. Prices start from £3.50.
Huckleys will be open five to seven days a week throughout May and the following summer months on Brigg Street. The business is also available to attend festivals and weddings.