How the face of Norwich has changed over a century: A look back at Gentleman’s Walk
- Credit: Archant © 2008
Today we start a new series looking at the changing face of Norwich over the last century – many of the new developments came about because the Luftwaffe set out to destroy large parts of the city during the Blitz while others were made in the name of progress.
Good or bad? That's for you to judge.
The early photographs were used in a book published following the end of the Second World by A P Cooper and some of the pictures were taken by the well known Norwich photographers, Neals.
They illustrate the way we were and the way we are – and of course new buildings are going up and changes in road patterns are happening all the time.
Let's start our journey by walking The Walk to see how the 'Jarrold Corner' has changed very little over the last 100 years and then take a look at the other end of this busy city centre walkway.
You may also want to watch:
That timepiece on the wall outside H Samuel's the jeweller has been ticking for more than 100 years, while the shops surrounding it have changed names many times.
The first picture was taken by Neals on Easter Saturday afternoon in 1915 during the First World War and it illustrates so well what life was like in the city centre of a century ago.
- 1 'Second time this year' - Armed police called to Norwich street
- 2 'Someone will get hurt' - Frustration over pothole near Norwich surgery
- 3 Men ran over roofs to flee police after Norwich cannabis factory raid
- 4 Why Norwich must stop Debenhams becoming city centre black hole
- 5 Langleys toy shop building for rent for £45,000 a year
- 6 'Unacceptable': Council hits out at soiled clothing left in public toilets
- 7 'We offered £20k over and still lost out': Frantic housing market revealed
- 8 CCTV shows man who used stolen bank card at three Norwich stores
- 9 Hopes for a summer reopening of popular park café
- 10 Elton John to kick off UK leg of farewell tour at Carrow Road
The trams coming round the corner, passengers in horse-drawn carriages, soldiers mingling with civilians... probably talking about what the future held.
And an old photograph wouldn't be complete without a dog watching the world go by.
Names such as Hope Brothers – where gents were fitted out – and there was Ye Mecca, a popular old haunt.
Fast forward to the same view on Easter Saturday afternoon of 1944 and you will see more men in uniform. This time they may have been American airmen who 'invaded' Norfolk and Suffolk during the Second World to join our fight for freedom.
The county was criss-crossed with airfields which housed thousands of GI's.
They came from a land of plenty and were shocked to see the Brits were surviving on rations and that Norwich was a city full of gaping holes caused by the savage bombing raids which caused so much death and destruction.
The Americans were a blast of colour in a black and white world, and they certainly knew how to enjoy themselves. Sadly many of them would never return home.
It was during the war that Samuels was taken over by Timpson's, who were blitzed out of Rampant Horse Street in 1942 but they returned in peacetime and that clock is still ticking away.