New homes for former rough sleepers given go-ahead
- Credit: Google Street View
Plans for seven new Norwich homes intended for use by former rough sleepers have been approved by councillors.
The seven one-bed, affordable rent properties on Kett's Hill are to be offered first to people who were previously homeless.
The proposal to build the homes, set on 0.37acres of land next to the former Kett's Tavern, has drawn a series of objections from neighbours concerned it could increase existing crime and antisocial behaviour issues in the area, including drug dealing and fighting.
However, council officer Maria Hammond recommended the development for approval saying it should not raise any "unacceptable amenity risks".
She added: “The applicant has received funding as part of the government’s Covid-19 rough sleeper response for this development and they intend to offer dwellings to former rough sleepers in the first instance and as general need for affordable rent in the longer term.”
One neighbour who objected said: "As a woman living alone, I am deeply concerned about the change to the neighbourhood dynamic.
"The possibility for an increase in crime, disturbances and the hazard of drug-taking paraphernalia littering the street is something that I believe has not been thought about.
- 1 'I can't lose!' City fan places 150/1 bet on Canaries dismal scoring record
- 2 £3.1m roadworks on new bus lane and crossings could last for ONE YEAR
- 3 Could ANOTHER McDonald's be coming to Norwich?
- 4 Busy road to partially close for line repainting at end of new bus lane
- 5 Restaurant owner 'excited' as Norwich street is permanently pedestrianised
- 6 WATCH: Inside abandoned static caravan left to rot in city suburb
- 7 From mustard to postcodes: 15 things Norwich has given the world
- 8 Seven-bed Edwardian home with heated swimming pool for sale
- 9 See inside this Tudor townhouse for sale for £325,000
- 10 Jailed in Norfolk: Flytippers and paedophiles
"Were these plans to go ahead I would feel less safe in my home my and going to and from it."
Others also raised concern about possible loss of light and the privacy impact on their properties.
Jake Lambert, speaking on behalf of the applicant, Broadland Development Services, disputed their concerns.
Mr Lambert said there was enough distance between the development and a neighbour that he did not believe there would be a “significant loss of privacy for this property in the grand scheme of things”.
Mr Lambert called on the councillors not to miss the opportunity to provide housing for those less fortunate.
Green councillors Sandra Bogelein and Lesley Grahame raised concerns about biodiversity loss on the site and the lack of details on how lost trees would be replaced with.
At a meeting on Thursday the application was approved with three Green councillors - Ms Bogelein, Ms Grahame and Gary Champion - abstaining.