Homeless people in Norwich deserve our help
- Credit: Archant
Homelessness is caused by different factors – some self imposed such as drug or alcohol addiction – some through circumstance beyond a person's control. Whatever the cause, these are people in dire need and deserving of help and compassion.
The criteria for getting shelter is three consecutive nights of below zero temperatures. How many of us could survive one night?
What really moved me to tears in an article I read recently was the description of a frightened young man in his early 20s, thrown out of his home because his girlfriend had found someone else. This young man was not begging, he just wanted someone to listen to his story.
His story is not unusual. Yes there may be other reasons for homelessness, but in every case where it is a young person – or even one that is not so young – I ask myself where are the parents, or the grandparents?
We know family situations can be difficult, but what parent worthy of the name would stand by while their child is in such a desperate situation?
You may also want to watch:
Leila Threadkell, Valentine Street, Norwich.
- 1 Cyclist punched in the face during unprovoked attack turned away by GP
- 2 Murder investigation launched after body of man found in Norwich flat
- 3 Norwich mum and daughter duo shed 12st
- 4 Calls for lines to be repainted at 'free-for-all' city roundabout
- 5 Flight bound for Norwich turns back to Aberdeen
- 6 Teenage stabbing was 'rival gang revenge’ for YouTube videos
- 7 Jets heard roaring over Norwich for training exercise
- 8 Armed police called to reports of man with knife
- 9 How Norwich are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 10 New Norwich shisha bar one of the best and cheapest spots for Turkish food