Hollywood glamour on the catwalk
- Credit: Archant
A celebration of the vintage scene in Norwich is on the fashion week menu, as Emma Harrowing reports.
News that early 1990s fashion is becoming 'vintage' as vintage boutiques in Norwich begin to stock those high-waisted ripped jeans, denim and leather skirts most of us remember wearing as if it was yesterday, may have got many of you in a spin. Cries of 'I'm old!' circulate on social media networks as we all get to grips with the fact that perhaps a fashion trend has come in that we cannot wear through fear that it may look like we are dressed too young for our age.
So it's refreshing to hear that for this year's Norwich Fashion Week vintage show the theme is Old Hollywood.
Think Marilyn Monroe, Audrey Hepburn and even actress Jessica Chastain who wore a full-length nude gown with silver thread pattern overlay for the Oscars this year. It seems that Old Hollywood glamour is back on the fashion radar.
The vintage show at Norwich Fashion Week comes from Norwich Cathedral this year, befitting of its glamorous theme. During the day the cloisters are being turned into a vintage market with pop-up hair and make-up booths so that you can get the look of the Hollywood stars. Then by night the Hostry will be turned into a catwalk with models adorned with vintage gems.
The catwalk show is also the launch pad for the first Fabulous Miss K dress collection, designed by Norwich stylist Karen James Welton and made in Norwich. The collection is being kept under wraps for now, but a sneak peek has revealed an elegant day dress with nipped-in waist and thigh-skimming skirt. According to Karen, the collection is based on original vintage patterns and bridges the gap between vintage-inspired new designs that appeal to under-25s and original vintage.
The collection will be joined on the catwalk by fashion sets by vintage boutiques in Norwich and Norfolk.
- 1 Roads closed as armed police and dog units swoop on Norwich home
- 2 Cannabis factory discovered in Norwich home after police raid
- 3 REVEALED: New leisure venue replacing Riverside Chinese
- 4 Lakeside proposal gone wrong watched by millions on TikTok
- 5 Huge chalet bungalow for sale near Norwich offers 'oasis' for £700k
- 6 Dodgy door halts city man's house move by MONTHS
- 7 New courts, please! Tennis controversy continues in Norwich
- 8 City garden centre launches street food nights with popular vendors
- 9 Holidaymakers' fury after two-day flight delay
- 10 Homeless man arrested in city centre to appear at court
The Old Hollywood Vintage Show takes place on Sunday, March 10. The vintage fair is from 1pm until 4pm in the cloisters and is free. The vintage fashion show takes place in the Hostry from 7pm, tickets are £12 and are available from Retreat Vintage on Magdalen Street.
Your Evening News will be bringing you all the news from on and off the Norwich Fashion Week catwalk over the next few weeks. For the full programme of events take a look at our Norwich Fashion Week pages online eveningnews24.co.uk/lifestyle/ nfw-2013