Hobo Johnson and The LoveMakers review- ‘The performance was intensely captivating’
- Credit: Archant
Hobo Johnson and the LoveMakers performed to a sold out audience at the Waterfront in Norwich on Friday night.
The evening started with front man Frank Lopez – professionally known as Hobo Johnson – performing a couple of solo songs, captivating the audience with his awkward and almost manic delivery.
The band came on stage and the atmosphere was elevated, with the crowd chanting along to every song – including a cover of Kelly Clarkson's Since You've Been Gone. The set list was impressive, with a mixture of songs from the album, The Rise of Hobo Johnson, as well as some new material.
Throughout the performance Frank engaged with the crowd. He had an awkward charm about him and his personality reflected the conversational style of lyrics in his music.
Although technically a rapper, the delivery and themes of his music are far from what you would expect. Almost self-loathing in places, focusing on past mistakes and unrequited love – it's hard not to feel sympathetic towards him.
You may also want to watch:
The band finished with a cover of the Front Bottoms Twin Sized Mattress which was incredibly well received by the audience. Frank spoke of how much the band meant to him and although a totally different style of music, the similarities were apparent.
Overall, the performance was intensely captivating. Although this was the last night in their UK tour, I would highly recommend trying to see them. A relatively new band, but I expect we will see a lot more from them in the future.
- 1 Tributes paid to 'amazing' Norwich shop worker
- 2 Alan Carr enjoys 'delicious food' and leaves large tip at city restaurant
- 3 Egg-lobbing mob leads police to step up presence in suburb
- 4 Motorcyclist injured after crash on Norwich road
- 5 7 of the best places to see fireworks in and around Norwich in 2021
- 6 Jonny to the rescue! Boyfriend springs into action after coffee spill drama
- 7 Hundreds potentially put at risk as council homes safety inspections missed
- 8 Four Norwich city green spaces among best in UK
- 9 Progress on plan for 4,000 homes near Norwich to be revealed
- 10 'They can't get away with it': Petrol boss defiant after spate of crimes