New outdoor escape game launches in Norwich
- Credit: Archant
Challenge your family and friends while learning about Norwich’s rich history at a new outdoor escape game that takes players on a fascinating trip around the city centre.
History Mystery started in 2015 and already operates popular escape rooms across the city, with games at The Museum of Norwich, Guildhall, in the medieval street below KindaKafe and also one further afield at Blickling Church.
All the sites had to shut immediately when the nation went into lockdown and while they have now been able to reopen at KindaKafe and Blickling Church with social distancing measures, there has been a drop in bookings.
This, combined with the longer gaps between games for cleaning, meant they needed to adapt and in August they launched a new outdoor escape game.
Revolting Earls and Body Snatching Bishops was launched in partnership with Norwich-based City Escape Games, which creates outdoor puzzles, and teams of up to six can buy a self-guided online game to play at any time.
You may also want to watch:
It lasts 90 minutes and can be accessed on every player’s phone using a web browser and takes groups around Norwich’s historic streets to solve clues using clocks, windows, plaques and more, with hints available if they get stuck.
Alasdair Willett, managing director and founder of History Mystery said: “Adapting to coronavirus has been critical to our business and we used lockdown as an inspiration to create new things.
- 1 'Disaster from start to finish': Parents slam school for failing kids
- 2 Power still out in parts of Norwich city centre six hours later
- 3 New £64,000 bus lane could cut 80 seconds off journeys
- 4 Resurfacing works to see closures on three busy city roads
- 5 Alan Carr enjoys 'delicious food' and leaves large tip at city restaurant
- 6 People in Norwich fined £21k for failing to pay for prescriptions
- 7 'Diabolical' - Fury over trees felled for road widening scheme
- 8 Family piano shop founded in 1887 is leaving the city
- 9 See how Norwich Castle's keep is being transformed
- 10 Roadworks to be aware of in Norwich this week
“The game explores the real history behind the first 40 years of Norman rule in Norwich and it takes you around the best and most historic parts of Norwich, including the Castle and Cathedral.”
They have also just launched a new play at home game called MI9: Evade and Escape, all about the MI9 intelligence unit in the Second World War tasked with helping allied airman evade capture.
Mr Willett added: “You don’t even need to leave the safety of your home to enjoy some escape game fun and it involves a printed element you need to cut out at home to create various objects.”
Book for both games at historymystery.games