Hethersett dance school crowned competition winner after online vote
Tap dancers from Hethersett have landed their school a �1,000 cash prize after being crowned regional champions in a nationwide competition.
Yvonne School of Dance gained the title of champions for the Norwich and eastern region in the Barclays Live dance competition after wowing a panel of celebrity judges, including Strictly Come Dancing star Brendan Cole, and then triumphing in an online public poll in which it picked up more than 40,000 votes in support.
Following the announcement yesterday, Yvonne Cutting, principal of the school, said: 'The girls were thrilled to make it through to the final of Barclays Live, so this win has put them over the moon.
'We'd like to thank everyone who voted for us as the prize money will go a long way to boosting our fundraising for the year.
'The girls will now have even better costumes in their upcoming shows as they continue to improve their dancing and raise as much money as possible for charity at the same time.'
You may also want to watch:
Barclays Live was launched to celebrate the bank's latest roll-out of new branches. Dance troupes, groups, duos and individuals were invited to pit their skills against each other in regional bouts with the winners each going home with �1,000.
Nine tap dancers from Yvonne School of Dance were one of 10 local acts to perform at The Forum, in Norwich, on February 26. The top five acts who impressed the judges, which included Luke Miller and Hanna Creswell of Norwich and Reading, Gabrielle Cocca and Laura Hills of Lowestoft, Angelo Antonio of Plumstead and Dem Bratz of Great Yarmouth, were then put through to an online vote which decided the eventual winner.
- 1 Woman taken to hospital after police incident in Norwich
- 2 Man, 47, in court on murder charge after Thorpe stabbing
- 3 Eager shoppers queue for opening of 20-year-old's vintage clothing shop
- 4 Long-suffering A11 drivers to benefit as 50-year-old road replaced
- 5 Influencer loses one-of-a-kind wedding ring at coast
- 6 Pet carer service's appeal to survive after Covid and faulty van struggles
- 7 Meat factory for sale for £1.2million earmarked for homes
- 8 Police and air ambulance called to major incident near Norwich
- 9 Story behind this famous photo of when Norwich went electric in 1957
- 10 £1.3m property for sale on one of most popular roads in Norwich
Yvonne School of Dance was set up 26 years ago and teaches children and adults ballet, modern jazz, tap and acrobatics.