Heritage events as part of the City of Ale Festival
Heritage events will include films at Fusion, at the Forum, lunchtime talks, and walking tours exploring Norwich's heritage of pubs and brewing.
The events have been arranged by Frances and Michael Holmes, from Norwich Heritage Projects.
Films will showcase the stories and characters behind Norwich's pubs and breweries. The heritage walking tours led by blue-badge guides will spotlight some of the earliest breweries, the former Anchor Brewery site, and there will be a tour of the ancient Curat House, previously known as Backs. Walks will also include a visit to Pockthorpe taking in part of Barrack Street and the old Sportsman pub, and Steward and Patteson's former main office.
Lunchtime talks will include 'Time Gentleman Please' with Chris Higgins, landlord at the Trafford Arms, an entertaining look at life behind the bar, a history of Colman's of Norwich and a short history of brewing in the city.
There will also be a nostalgic pub quiz at the Murderers, in Timberhill, for those who remember Black Anna, pictured above, singing at the former Jolly Butchers, and an evening of traditional pub games at the Ribs of Beef, Fye Bridge Street, hosted by Roger and Anthea Cawdron.
You may also want to watch:
The events can be booked by visiting the website www.norwich-heritage.co.uk
Why not send us pictures of you and your friends enjoying the festival, using our new iwitness24 website www.iwitness24.co.uk. We'll then use some of the best in the newspaper.
- 1 Air ambulance called and A47 closed after incident
- 2 Warning to others after mum breaks leg using park zip wire
- 3 Calls to stop major development in expanding village
- 4 What 45,000 new homes will mean for our city
- 5 Hamleys toy shop opens in Norwich shopping centre
- 6 Five of the most expensive properties for rent in Norwich
- 7 Pedestrian suffers life-threatening injuries in A47 crash
- 8 'We will come back stronger': Norwich restaurant to close for rebranding
- 9 Diggers roll into village as work begins on 267 home development
- 10 'I shot out of my seat' - Spitfire spotted flying over Norwich