Hellesdon leukaemia survivor prepares for marathon
A leukaemia survivor from Norwich is running the marathon to support a cancer charity which helps children to fight the disease.
Nathan Burton, right, of Plantation Road in Hellesdon, is hoping to raise �6,000 for Children with Leukaemia when he runs the Virgin London Marathon this weekend.
'I have chosen to run in aid of Children with Leukaemia again this year because of their continual work in support of young children and their families,' the 20-year-old said.
The charity funds research into treatments and underlying causes of the disease and also helps children's hospices and supporting organisations for families affected by the disease.
The Royal Marine recruit, who is currently training in the south of England, added: 'The charity keeps administration costs to a bare minimum, so that donations help as much as possible towards cure, prevention and most crucially, support.
You may also want to watch:
'I chose this charity because in April 1999 when I was nine-years-old, I was diagnosed with leukaemia, and underwent three years of intensive treatment.
'I eventually made a full recovery, but my heart goes out to all the children currently suffering with this dreadful disease.'
- 1 Queues and tunes as life returns to city on Saturday after shops reopen
- 2 Man detained under mental health act after Norwich disturbance
- 3 Man charged with murder after fatal stabbing in Thorpe
- 4 City beer gardens heaving as lockdown eases and Norwich City promoted
- 5 NORWICH CITY ARE PROMOTED TO THE PREMIER LEAGUE
- 6 Two Norwich fish and chip shops named among top 50 in the country
- 7 Kill the Bill protestors take to Norwich streets
- 8 Probe into woman's death continues following suspected arson
- 9 Hunt for silver VW Golf after man seriously injured in hit-and-run
- 10 Norwich City fans gather at Carrow Road to celebrate promotion
Mr Burton has run the marathon for the past two years and also volunteers at the Over the Wall Gang Camp, which runs free activity residential camps for children who are suffering with life threatening illnesses, which include leukaemia.
'Thanks to the work of my chosen charity, the success rate for cure is much higher now than it was a few years ago and the sponsorship money I hope to raise will help the charity to continue providing this much needed help.'
To sponsor Mr Burton you can visit his Just Giving website at www.uk.virginmoneygiving.com/NathanBurton
For more information about Children with Leukaemia visit http://www.leukaemia.org and Over the Wall Camp, visit www.otw.org.uk.