Hellesdon leukaemia survivor prepares for marathon
A leukaemia survivor from Norwich is running the marathon to support a cancer charity which helps children to fight the disease.
Nathan Burton, right, of Plantation Road in Hellesdon, is hoping to raise �6,000 for Children with Leukaemia when he runs the Virgin London Marathon this weekend.
'I have chosen to run in aid of Children with Leukaemia again this year because of their continual work in support of young children and their families,' the 20-year-old said.
The charity funds research into treatments and underlying causes of the disease and also helps children's hospices and supporting organisations for families affected by the disease.
The Royal Marine recruit, who is currently training in the south of England, added: 'The charity keeps administration costs to a bare minimum, so that donations help as much as possible towards cure, prevention and most crucially, support.
You may also want to watch:
'I chose this charity because in April 1999 when I was nine-years-old, I was diagnosed with leukaemia, and underwent three years of intensive treatment.
'I eventually made a full recovery, but my heart goes out to all the children currently suffering with this dreadful disease.'
- 1 'Our lives are being destroyed': Neighbours' despair over noisy students
- 2 'Dream come true': Norwich restaurant wins national award
- 3 Pupil taken to hospital after incident at Thorpe St Andrew school
- 4 Norwich man convicted of murder boasts of mutilating 'up to 30' cats
- 5 'The final straw' - Bakery fears closure over council plans
- 6 Man found dead at Thorpe St Andrew home
- 7 Should straight people go into queer clubs and bars?
- 8 Mum's pleas to move house denied despite GP's concerns over wellbeing
- 9 Diversions in place on A47 near Norwich due to flooding
- 10 Norwich man wanted by police
Mr Burton has run the marathon for the past two years and also volunteers at the Over the Wall Gang Camp, which runs free activity residential camps for children who are suffering with life threatening illnesses, which include leukaemia.
'Thanks to the work of my chosen charity, the success rate for cure is much higher now than it was a few years ago and the sponsorship money I hope to raise will help the charity to continue providing this much needed help.'
To sponsor Mr Burton you can visit his Just Giving website at www.uk.virginmoneygiving.com/NathanBurton
For more information about Children with Leukaemia visit http://www.leukaemia.org and Over the Wall Camp, visit www.otw.org.uk.