Hellesdon: Cooking up a storm in the classroom
Sam EmanuelAn infant school in Hellesdon is raising money for a new kitchen classroom so its pupils can cook for the community and learn about nutrition.Sam Emanuel
An infant school in Hellesdon is raising money for a new kitchen classroom so its pupils can cook for the community and learn about nutrition.
Work on the child-friendly kitchen at Heather Avenue Infant School is set to begin in six to eight weeks, and will see the facility opened by September, ready for the new school term.
Anna Tubb, who is a class teacher at the school and a member of the kitchen steering committee, said: 'We are planning to have weekly cooking sessions for each class and an after school club as well. We would like to involve the parents too, firstly by having the children cook for them, and secondly by them working alongside the children.
'There will be three ovens which are safe for children, with sliding doors, and induction hobbs, which can only get hot if they have certain types of saucepans on them.
You may also want to watch:
'The kitchen will have three bays, and the work surfaces will all be the right height for the children. They absolutely love cooking and it covers so many different areas of curriculum, as they have to weigh and measure ingredients, mix the ingredients together and learn how they change, and watch the cakes rise.'
The children have been working hard to help raise money for the kitchen and have been cooking for members of the local community.
- 1 Woman taken to hospital after police incident in Norwich
- 2 Man, 47, in court on murder charge after Thorpe stabbing
- 3 Eager shoppers queue for opening of 20-year-old's vintage clothing shop
- 4 Long-suffering A11 drivers to benefit as 50-year-old road replaced
- 5 Influencer loses one-of-a-kind wedding ring at coast
- 6 Pet carer service's appeal to survive after Covid and faulty van struggles
- 7 Story behind this famous photo of when Norwich went electric in 1957
- 8 Meat factory for sale for £1.2million earmarked for homes
- 9 Police and air ambulance called to major incident near Norwich
- 10 £1.3m property for sale on one of most popular roads in Norwich
The school also held a quiz and chips night with food donated by Hellesdon fish and chip shop Plaice for Taste.
Is your school gaining a new facility, or do you have another school-related story? Call Sam Emanuel on 01603 772438 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.