Support group for young diabetics in Norwich
Young type 1 diabetics in Norwich are being offered the chance to join a network of people in their 20s and 30s who have the condition.
Circle D is a nationwide network to help young adults who are also diabetics meet other local people with the condition and support each other in managing their diabetes.
Circle D Norwich was set up last year by Amy Turner, who lives off Elm Hill in Norwich.
The 28-year-old set up the group after making contact with Circle D members elsewhere in the country.
She found the support of meeting with other diabetics invaluable to helping her manage the condition and wanted to make sure the same was available in Norfolk.
Miss Turner, who works for The Prince's Trust, said: 'The group is a chance for people to get together and meet other diabetics locally. This can offer a lot of support and reminds the members that they are not alone. We also work to raise awareness of type 1 diabetes.'
She added: 'The idea was to hold something that isn't based at the hospital and we don't just talk about the health things all the time.'
- 1 House of horrors: Is this the worst council property in Norwich?
- 2 'Fixer upper' lodge home goes up for sale near Norwich city centre
- 3 Store still cordoned off with police tape two months after break-in
- 4 Tourist slapped with £100 parking fine for cash machine stop
- 5 Burger off! Petition launched to scrap new McDonald's plan
- 6 'Not our fault' - City man hits back on abandoned caravan after land dispute
- 7 Burglars smash way into Patisserie Valerie and nab cash
- 8 Battered bus shelter wrapped in police tape after delivery van smash
- 9 'Please help': Family's plea for support for superfan Lily's funeral
- 10 Walker furious as beauty spot 'ruined' by bush chopping
The group holds meetings every other month, alternating between support meetings and activities such as bowling, crazy golf and a day out in Great Yarmouth.
Circle D Norwich will be holding its first meeting of 2012 on Saturday, January 28 at Open in Bank Plain.
Circle D was originally set up in Kent in 2008 following a Diabetes UK initiative. It has since spread to other areas of the UK, and while the groups work independently, they link up regularly for larger events.
For more information email email@example.com or search 'Circle D Norwich' on Facebook or on Twitter @circlednorwich.
Do you have a story about a new support group for a health condition? Contact reporter Kim Briscoe on 01603 772419 or email firstname.lastname@example.org