Still time to donate presents to Christmas appeal today as campaign reaches last day
- Credit: Archant
Support for the Evening News' Christmas appeal has hit a new high after former patients and businesses donated hundreds of presents this week.
It comes ahead of the end of our appeal tonight – which is run together with the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital (N&N) – but readers still have until 6pm to drop off presents at our office on Rouen Road, Norwich.
The Send a Smile with Santa campaign aims to get 1,000 Christmas presents donated to the N&N, which will be given to sick and injured patients who are forced to spend December 25 on a ward.
This week two more businesses, ABA Procurement and Alan Boswell Group, dropped off several bags-worth of presents at our office – while another company pledged to buy £3,000 worth of gifts.
That company is Parkmoore Capital Ltd, a financial services and investment company which launches officially in January.
You may also want to watch:
It will spend the money on getting gifts for teenagers and male patients, the patient group to whom the fewest presents have been donated so far.
Neil Debenham, operations manager at Parkmoore, said: 'We're delighted to be a new supporter of the appeal.
- 1 Centre takes action after IT failure causes long queues for Covid jab
- 2 Can you rehome this Terrier who has spent nine years at animal sanctuary?
- 3 Covid rates continue to fall across Norfolk, especially in Norwich
- 4 Drink driver arrested after crashing into two trees in Norwich
- 5 9 of Norfolk's most famous blue plaques
- 6 Four fire crews called to car blaze in Norwich garage
- 7 Norfolk woman fined after travelling 200 miles to visit daughter
- 8 The secrets and scandals of a former Norwich hotel
- 9 Military begin coronavirus support at hospital
- 10 Fired twice in two months: Events boss feels the pain of Covid
'No-one wants to be in hospital or to have one of their loved ones in hospital on Christmas Day - and this campaign is a great way of being able to make that time a little more special.
'We wanted to make a difference to patients and to help spread some Christmas cheer.'
Meanwhile, a former patient handed over around 150 gifts which she has collected throughout the year.
Donna Clarke, of Hellesdon, donated presents that ranged from hair-styling products, toiletries, and other items.
She said: 'I've spent time in hospital and know that it's the little things that really make a difference.
'We've managed to collect a variety of gifts, for all ages and genders and hope that these will go a long way towards making a patient's stay in hospital more comfortable over the festive season.'
You can donate by dropping off presents at our office or the hospital.
For more information call the N&N's fundraising manager Louise Cook on 01603 287107.