Sprowston girl is praised for 999 call
- Credit: Archant
A quick thinking nine-year-old has been praised by emergency services for calling 999 when she found her mum struggling to breathe.
Elektra Reed, from Sprowston, remained cool and calm on finding her mum, Helena, short of breath and unable to speak.
Dialling 999, she explained her mum's symptoms to call handler Erica Crowe at the East of England Ambulance Service NHS Trust (EEAST), who spoke with her until the ambulance crew arrived.
Elektra's mother Helena said: 'Elektra immediately dialled 999 and from what I remember she was really good and gave her name, my name, my date of birth, address and my symptoms. I am very proud of her.'
This week Elektra was given a behind the scenes tour of EEAST's emergency control room in Norwich and had the chance to meet call handler Mrs Crowe.
You may also want to watch:
During the visit Elektra, who attends George White Junior School in the city, was presented with a certificate which praised her outstanding actions on December 13.
She saw first hand where some of the region's 999 calls are answered and how emergency crews are dispatched.
- 1 Enjoy afternoon tea on Britain's poshest train departing from Norwich
- 2 'No help to us' - Mixed views on £6.1m street revamp
- 3 Business fears for Christmas trade if council doesn't fix traffic 'chaos'
- 4 £6.1m shopping street revamp will take half of 2022 to complete
- 5 'She shouted for 90 minutes': Councillor guilty of harassing railway staff
- 6 Child sex abuse victim: 'I'm still angry, but haven't let him ruin my life'
- 7 Norfolk man jailed for historic child sex abuse offences
- 8 'Disaster from start to finish': Parents slam school for failing kids
- 9 People in Norwich fined £21k for failing to pay for prescriptions
- 10 Resurfacing works to see closures on three busy city roads
Elektra, who hopes to work in the NHS when she is older, also presented a bouquet of flowers to Mrs Crowe.
Impressed by the attitude of the school girl Mrs Crowe said: 'She was very calm and collected and answered all the questions I asked. She was very polite and mature for her age.'
Elektra's mum praised the paramedics who attended and treated her at the scene.
Have you got a special reason to be proud of your child? Email email@example.com