Sprowston girl is praised for 999 call
- Credit: Archant
A quick thinking nine-year-old has been praised by emergency services for calling 999 when she found her mum struggling to breathe.
Elektra Reed, from Sprowston, remained cool and calm on finding her mum, Helena, short of breath and unable to speak.
Dialling 999, she explained her mum's symptoms to call handler Erica Crowe at the East of England Ambulance Service NHS Trust (EEAST), who spoke with her until the ambulance crew arrived.
Elektra's mother Helena said: 'Elektra immediately dialled 999 and from what I remember she was really good and gave her name, my name, my date of birth, address and my symptoms. I am very proud of her.'
This week Elektra was given a behind the scenes tour of EEAST's emergency control room in Norwich and had the chance to meet call handler Mrs Crowe.
You may also want to watch:
During the visit Elektra, who attends George White Junior School in the city, was presented with a certificate which praised her outstanding actions on December 13.
She saw first hand where some of the region's 999 calls are answered and how emergency crews are dispatched.
- 1 Woman taken to hospital after police incident in Norwich
- 2 Eager shoppers queue for opening of 20-year-old's vintage clothing shop
- 3 Man, 47, in court on murder charge after Thorpe stabbing
- 4 Man due in court charged with murder after fatal stabbing in Thorpe
- 5 Story behind this famous photo of when Norwich went electric in 1957
- 6 Pet carer service's appeal to survive after Covid and faulty van struggles
- 7 City beer gardens heaving as lockdown eases and Norwich City promoted
- 8 Public invited to have say on plans to convert derelict pub
- 9 Sweepers clean up in city after busy Saturday night - and punters behave
- 10 Man detained under mental health act after Norwich disturbance
Elektra, who hopes to work in the NHS when she is older, also presented a bouquet of flowers to Mrs Crowe.
Impressed by the attitude of the school girl Mrs Crowe said: 'She was very calm and collected and answered all the questions I asked. She was very polite and mature for her age.'
Elektra's mum praised the paramedics who attended and treated her at the scene.
Have you got a special reason to be proud of your child? Email firstname.lastname@example.org