Norwich man’s plea to boost blood stocks
A Norwich man who received blood transfusions while battling a rare cancer of the blood is appealing for donors to help boost stocks to 30pc above usual levels by the start of the Olympic Games in July.
NHS Blood and Transplant (NHSBT) says the increase is needed because of the unusually high number of public events in the UK this summer, including the Olympic Games.
David Cooke, from Townsend Road, in Eaton Rise, who received blood during his treatment for mantle cell lymphoma, is supporting the launch of the campaign to raise awareness of the need for existing and new donors to give blood.
The grandfather-of-five said: 'I would not be here today but for the generous donations of all the loyal blood donors throughout the country, who have given their valuable time, and blood, to make my stem cell transplant successful. Without the transfusions during my operation, I would not have enjoyed my time with my five new, wonderful grandchildren. I would like to encourage as many people as possible to give blood this summer and help save lives.'
NHSBT says past experience shows that even regular donors miss appointments during national events and celebrations as routines are disrupted. The higher-than- usual number of public holidays and sporting events and the jubilee celebrations means active donors in particular are being asked to make an appointment.
You may also want to watch:
Call 0300 123 23 23 to make an appointment to donate blood.
Do you have a health story? Call Kim Briscoe on 01603 772419 or email email@example.com
- 1 Cannabis factory uncovered in former bar in Norwich's clubland
- 2 Restaurant boss U-turn after row over trial shift pay
- 3 Team behind Norwich restaurants reopen closed hotel
- 4 Norwich pub welcomes eight new street food vendors
- 5 Pair led to safety after 'taking refuge' in fire-hit house
- 6 Pedestrian crossing must be in before Aldi store is built, say officers
- 7 £1.3m property for sale on one of most popular roads in Norwich
- 8 Council to force landowners to sell so £1.3m roundabout can be built
- 9 New hope for Open building as talks over future revealed
- 10 New plans lodged for Norwich hotel above Tesco