Norwich hearing dog wins top prize
A Norwich hearing dog has been credited with changing his owner's life – and even for him meeting his girlfriend.
Foggy – a Mongrel breed dog – claimed the top prize at a national event highlighting the work of hearing dogs across the UK.
Owner Simon Moore, 26, from Lakenham, now wants Foggy to be the ring-bearer at his wedding next summer.
Before receiving the dog, Mr Moore said he rarely left the house, but since getting Foggy, he has regained his confidence
Mr Moore – who was born deaf and suffers from a rare genetic craniofacial disorder known as Treacher Collins Syndrome, said: 'I really believe that Foggy has changed my life.
'Before I had him my life wasn't brilliant. I would never go out and would stay in my room where I would be happier alone.
'However, when I got Foggy, it felt like the start of a new life.
- 1 Quaint 'tucked away' house is for sale for the first time in almost 30 years
- 2 City pub 'full of life again' after busy opening weekend
- 3 See inside this £1.15m Bridgerton-style city centre period property
- 4 Vandals smash charity dinosaur trail T.rex and leave kebab in its mouth
- 5 Hidden city garden opening with live music and plant sale
- 6 Pub closes for £5,000 refurb to enable it to serve drinks faster
- 7 Teen slapped with six points on licence - but she can't even drive
- 8 Waiting game over fate of housing bid for former school playing field
- 9 'Killer weeds infesting river are threat to life', warns boat boss
- 10 ‘Porn addict’ Norfolk doctor who secretly filmed women struck off
'Foggy was also responsible for me bumping into my fiance, Vicky Royall.
'I would never have met her without Foggy.'
The specially-trained hearing dog claimed the top prize in the Royal Canin Life-changing Hearing Dog of the Year category at the Hearing Dogs Awards 2011, held in Central London this week. The awards, which were supported by Specsavers Hearing Centres and Royal Canin, are coordinated by the national charity Hearing Dogs for Deaf People and have been held annually since 2003.
A celebrity judging panel of One Show presenter Matt Baker, EastEnders actress Pam St Clement and TV vet Marc Abraham chose this year's finalists.
Has a pet transformed your life? Call reporter David Bale on 01603 772427 or email email@example.com.