Norwich hearing dog wins top prize
A Norwich hearing dog has been credited with changing his owner's life – and even for him meeting his girlfriend.
Foggy – a Mongrel breed dog – claimed the top prize at a national event highlighting the work of hearing dogs across the UK.
Owner Simon Moore, 26, from Lakenham, now wants Foggy to be the ring-bearer at his wedding next summer.
Before receiving the dog, Mr Moore said he rarely left the house, but since getting Foggy, he has regained his confidence
Mr Moore – who was born deaf and suffers from a rare genetic craniofacial disorder known as Treacher Collins Syndrome, said: 'I really believe that Foggy has changed my life.
You may also want to watch:
'Before I had him my life wasn't brilliant. I would never go out and would stay in my room where I would be happier alone.
'However, when I got Foggy, it felt like the start of a new life.
- 1 First look as Norwich's new £2.75m recycling centre opens
- 2 Siblings slam council for 'backtracking' on council flat
- 3 'It came out of the blue': Chinese takeaway gets one-star hygiene rating
- 4 City sees jobs bonanza – so why are job centres overflowing?
- 5 Driver who died in A47 crash had medical episode
- 6 See inside renovated 1950s Norwich factory apartment for sale for £350,000
- 7 WATCH: Moment schoolgirl drenched by driver - but is it a crime?
- 8 Kiefer Sutherland announces UEA show
- 9 Plan for 1,600 homes would see new school and health centre open
- 10 City handymen on which DIY jobs you really SHOULDN'T try at home
'Foggy was also responsible for me bumping into my fiance, Vicky Royall.
'I would never have met her without Foggy.'
The specially-trained hearing dog claimed the top prize in the Royal Canin Life-changing Hearing Dog of the Year category at the Hearing Dogs Awards 2011, held in Central London this week. The awards, which were supported by Specsavers Hearing Centres and Royal Canin, are coordinated by the national charity Hearing Dogs for Deaf People and have been held annually since 2003.
A celebrity judging panel of One Show presenter Matt Baker, EastEnders actress Pam St Clement and TV vet Marc Abraham chose this year's finalists.
Has a pet transformed your life? Call reporter David Bale on 01603 772427 or email email@example.com.