No SOS bus in Norwich’s clubland as pubs and bars reopen
- Credit: Emily Thomson
The SOS bus in Norwich’s clubland will not run its service as pub and restaurants reopen.
On Saturday, many businesses and organisations will be open for the first time in months but the SOS bus service will not be among them due to a lack of volunteers able to work.
The service is volunteer-led and over 50pc of the volunteers are unable to work due to personal circumstances such as the need to self-isolate, caring responsibilities or are essential workers, a spokesman said.
However, the situation will be reviewed and, as soon as circumstances allow, the service will return.
The statement said: “Although lockdown restrictions are easing and some pubs and restaurants will be re-opening in Norwich this weekend, unfortunately we are not able to run the SOS Bus service this Saturday July, 4.
You may also want to watch:
“The SOS Bus service is volunteer-led and is dependent on the availability of volunteers to run. Over 50pc of our volunteers are currently unable to assist on the bus at this time due to personal circumstances, including the need to self-isolate, caring responsibilities or are essential workers.
“The safety of our volunteers and the clients who use the bus are our priority and, whilst we do not have our full cohort of volunteers who can undertake the range of roles that the SOS Bus service demands, we cannot operate safely.
- 1 Up and coming Norwich musician reaches number 13 in UK charts
- 2 Norwich hairdresser, former boxer and bodybuilder, dies from Covid
- 3 The secrets and scandals of a former Norwich hotel
- 4 Norwich Debenhams looks doomed as Boohoo to buy brand
- 5 'A little bit of hope' - Care home manager look back on last 10 months
- 6 Drink-driver caught on flyover after police spot 'worrying' driving
- 7 Drink driver arrested after crashing into two trees in Norwich
- 8 The areas where Covid rates have fallen the fastest since lockdown began
- 9 Can you rehome this Terrier who has spent nine years at animal sanctuary?
- 10 Bus crashes into lorry in Norwich
“We will continue to monitor the situation and, as soon as circumstances allow, we will resume the SOS Bus service in Norwich. In the meantime we urge anyone visiting Norwich on Fridays and Saturday nights to do so safely, maintain social distancing and be considerate of the emergency and health services who are still under pressure due to Covid-19.”