No SOS bus in Norwich’s clubland as pubs and bars reopen
- Credit: Emily Thomson
The SOS bus in Norwich’s clubland will not run its service as pub and restaurants reopen.
On Saturday, many businesses and organisations will be open for the first time in months but the SOS bus service will not be among them due to a lack of volunteers able to work.
The service is volunteer-led and over 50pc of the volunteers are unable to work due to personal circumstances such as the need to self-isolate, caring responsibilities or are essential workers, a spokesman said.
However, the situation will be reviewed and, as soon as circumstances allow, the service will return.
The statement said: “Although lockdown restrictions are easing and some pubs and restaurants will be re-opening in Norwich this weekend, unfortunately we are not able to run the SOS Bus service this Saturday July, 4.
You may also want to watch:
“The SOS Bus service is volunteer-led and is dependent on the availability of volunteers to run. Over 50pc of our volunteers are currently unable to assist on the bus at this time due to personal circumstances, including the need to self-isolate, caring responsibilities or are essential workers.
“The safety of our volunteers and the clients who use the bus are our priority and, whilst we do not have our full cohort of volunteers who can undertake the range of roles that the SOS Bus service demands, we cannot operate safely.
- 1 TikTok craze sparks calls to stop sale of beans to under-18s
- 2 Norwich man convicted of murder boasts of mutilating 'up to 30' cats
- 3 Should straight people go into queer clubs and bars?
- 4 Norfolk man jailed for historic child sex abuse offences
- 5 Mum's pleas to move house denied despite GP's concerns over wellbeing
- 6 'No help to us' - Mixed views on £6.1m street revamp
- 7 'Dream come true': Norwich restaurant wins national award
- 8 Norwich man in court over more than 84,000 indecent images
- 9 Business fears for Christmas trade if council doesn't fix traffic 'chaos'
- 10 See inside this quirky bungalow for sale near Norwich railway station
“We will continue to monitor the situation and, as soon as circumstances allow, we will resume the SOS Bus service in Norwich. In the meantime we urge anyone visiting Norwich on Fridays and Saturday nights to do so safely, maintain social distancing and be considerate of the emergency and health services who are still under pressure due to Covid-19.”