Holt recruits Norwich blood donors
Former Norwich City player Gary Holt has helped to recruit new blood donors in Norwich.
NHS Blood and Transplant staff were out recruiting blood donors at the Forum earlier this month, and 56 people registered to give blood as part of the 'Give the Gift of Life this Christmas' campaign.
In the afternoon, blood recipient and ex-Norwich City player Gary Holt attended the event and spoke to potential donors about the importance of blood donation.
While playing football, Holt cracked a rib and not realising the seriousness of his condition, he continued to play. His lung collapsed and his chest needed to be drained. He lost a massive 3.5 litres of blood and needed a transfusion to save him.
He said said: 'Blood saves lives. You never know when or how much blood will be needed, so we must make sure there are enough donors so there's sufficient blood available. Don't leave it to someone else to donate.'
You may also want to watch:
For details of sessions in this area or to book an appointment, call 0300 123 23 23 or visit www.blood.co.uk.
- 1 Every Norfolk primary school rated as 'Outstanding'
- 2 Man and woman found dead in home
- 3 Water starts gushing out of sinkhole on Norwich city centre road
- 4 Neighbours sick of road turning into 'scene from Fast & Furious'
- 5 New Lidl supermarket opens in Norwich
- 6 Anti-vax protesters descend on Norwich pub demanding entry
- 7 Despair over fly-tipping and rats in city suburb
- 8 Parts of busy Norwich road to be shut for three days for repairs
- 9 'People make slavery jokes' - Black student on racism in schools
- 10 Car catches fire after early morning crash