Holt recruits Norwich blood donors
Former Norwich City player Gary Holt has helped to recruit new blood donors in Norwich.
NHS Blood and Transplant staff were out recruiting blood donors at the Forum earlier this month, and 56 people registered to give blood as part of the 'Give the Gift of Life this Christmas' campaign.
In the afternoon, blood recipient and ex-Norwich City player Gary Holt attended the event and spoke to potential donors about the importance of blood donation.
While playing football, Holt cracked a rib and not realising the seriousness of his condition, he continued to play. His lung collapsed and his chest needed to be drained. He lost a massive 3.5 litres of blood and needed a transfusion to save him.
He said said: 'Blood saves lives. You never know when or how much blood will be needed, so we must make sure there are enough donors so there's sufficient blood available. Don't leave it to someone else to donate.'
You may also want to watch:
For details of sessions in this area or to book an appointment, call 0300 123 23 23 or visit www.blood.co.uk.
- 1 Cyclist punched in the face during unprovoked attack turned away by GP
- 2 Murder investigation launched after body of man found in Norwich flat
- 3 Calls for lines to be repainted at 'free-for-all' city roundabout
- 4 Flight bound for Norwich turns back to Aberdeen
- 5 Norwich mum and daughter duo shed 12st
- 6 Four more roads in Norwich to close for resurfacing work
- 7 Teenage stabbing was 'rival gang revenge’ for YouTube videos
- 8 New Norwich shisha bar one of the best and cheapest spots for Turkish food
- 9 Jets heard roaring over Norwich for training exercise
- 10 Looking back at one of the city's favourite outdoor swimming pools