Health and fitness club at former Habitat in London Street, Norwich?
Fitness fans in Norwich city centre could soon have somewhere new to go, after plans were submitted for a health and fitness club at the former Habitat store in London Street.
Habitat furnishings store closed in June after 26 years in Norwich, and the 1624 sq m site has remained empty, but plans for a change of use at the location have now been submitted on behalf of The Gym Group.
The Gym Group, trading as The Gym, operates in 11 other UK locations including prestigious developments such as Liverpool One, Cabot Circus in Bristol and St George Wharf in central London.
It is proposed that the new fitness club would occupy part of the vacant first and second floors of the London Street site with access at ground floor from Little London Street.
The operation will include a range of rowing, running, cycling, and weights equipment for individual use.
You may also want to watch:
Peak usage is expected at lunchtimes, from midday to 2pm, and late afternoon/early evening from 4-8pm, but it will be open 24 hours a day.
Stefan Gurney, from Norwich City Centre Partnership, said: 'It's a model that works in other cities. It's a prime retail site in a nice retail environment. This will be an upstairs environment, not a street-facing environment, and I understand that it will be used by office and shop workers at lunch-times and after work, primarily.'
- 1 Ex-Canaries striker seals Championship move
- 2 Ghosts of business past: Empty shop units for rent for £100,000
- 3 Revealed: How much to rent former high street store
- 4 Revealed: New Anglia Square talks take place
- 5 New bid to limit city centre offices being turned into flats
- 6 New hotel could 'destroy character of Norwich Lanes'
- 7 Big screen unveiled in pub garden for England's Auld Enemy clash
- 8 'Dull as dishwater' - Fans in Norwich pub react to draw
- 9 Community shock after teenager knocked unconscious as robbers steal trainers
- 10 Have you visited any of these 'haunted' ruins in Norwich?
The Gym Group was formed in 2008 and brings significant footfall to schemes of more than 1000 people per day.