Gratitude to readers after presents for patients on Christmas Day are delivered to the Norfolk and Norwich hospital
- Credit: Archant
A big round of thanks is today given to everyone who supported the Evening News and Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital's (N&N) Christmas present appeal, after the deadline for donations passed.
Readers reacted in droves to our Send a Smile with Santa campaign - run jointly with the N&N - with many different presents left at our office on Rouen Road during the month-long campaign.
Yesterday the Evening News handed over around 300 presents, enough to fill two cars, to the hospital.
Many presents have also been donated directly to the hospital, while other businesses have already dropped off their collected presents.
N&N staff will count and wrap the presents later this week.
You may also want to watch:
Emma McKay, director of nursing at the hospital, said: 'We've been thrilled by the generosity shown by local people and businesses over the course of our Send a Smile with Santa campaign and I'd like to extend our sincere thanks to everyone who has donated presents.
'The hospital staff work hard to make Christmas a happy time for patients and families, and the donations we have received from the public will make it an extra special time for them.
- 1 Norwich restaurants and pubs reopening in April
- 2 Driver fined after leaving queue before entering Co-Op
- 3 New pasta and cocktail bar to open in Norwich
- 4 'Spoiled the enjoyment' - Park bench damaged as engraving cut off
- 5 Emma Thompson and Peaky Blinders actor to star in new film shot in Norwich
- 6 When can I go to the beach? Lockdown travel questions answered
- 7 Buy a former 1950s police station for sale for £330,000
- 8 Tributes to the 'face of Norwich bus station' after Covid death
- 9 'Stay local' warning and visitors fined after hundreds head to Sea Palling
- 10 £153m Western Link road delayed a third time
'We're determined that our patients do not miss out on the magic of Christmas simply because they are in hospital.'
Evening News editor David Powles said: 'We're delighted that so many Evening News readers have taken the time to donate presents for the appeal.
'From businesses to families – many people have been kind enough to give us items that will make spending Christmas on a hospital ward a more festive experience.
'We want to thank everyone who has donated to the appeal and hope the patients like the presents.'
The Evening News will reveal the number of presents donated once all the acceptable items have been counted.