Barman at Fat Cat Brewery Tap in Norwich starts the pub’s very own cycle club
- Credit: Archant
You might not normally associate beers and bikes, but one pub is hoping to change that.
Barman Jude Garrod, who works at the Fat Cat Brewery Tap on Sprowston Road, has set the pub's very own cycling club.
'Cycling is really popular because it makes you feel good. Anyone can do it whether you have borrowed your Granddad's old steel frame bike or have a high end race bike.'
'It's a sport that is always growing in Norwich and now is a great time to get on your bike as the weather gets better,' Mr Garrod added.
Some 28 riders, a mix of regular punters at the pub and people who wanted to come down for the ride, took part in the inaugural 30 mile Brewery Tap Cycle Club ride.
You may also want to watch:
Landlord Mark White said: 'There are so many cyclists who come to the pub and all the bar staff are into it.
'We're using the pub as a base so riders can come in for a coffee before setting off.'
- 1 Cannabis factory uncovered in former bar in Norwich's clubland
- 2 Team behind Norwich restaurants reopen closed hotel
- 3 Norwich pub welcomes eight new street food vendors
- 4 Heron dies after being shot six times with air gun in Norwich
- 5 Police swoop after £400k cocaine parcel delivered to Norwich house
- 6 Council to force landowners to sell so £1.3m roundabout can be built
- 7 Restaurant boss U-turn after row over trial shift pay
- 8 £1.3m property for sale on one of most popular roads in Norwich
- 9 Man found dead in Norwich hotel
- 10 Pair led to safety after 'taking refuge' in fire-hit house
Iain Palmer the owner of Borwell Cycles, on Spencer Street, came down to the start of the ride to help check the riders' bikes out.
'It is our local so we thought we would pop down to help out and check people's tyre pressures and answer any technical questions they might have about their bikes,' Mr Palmer said.
'The image of cycling has certainly changed over the years. It used to be seen as a bit of an oddball sport, but since the Olympics it has really taken off,' he added.
The next Brewery Tap Cycle Club ride will take place on Sunday, May 17 meeting at 10am at the Fat Cat Brewery Tap pub on Sprowston Road.
Are you organising a community event? Email email@example.com.