Barman at Fat Cat Brewery Tap in Norwich starts the pub’s very own cycle club
- Credit: Archant
You might not normally associate beers and bikes, but one pub is hoping to change that.
Barman Jude Garrod, who works at the Fat Cat Brewery Tap on Sprowston Road, has set the pub's very own cycling club.
'Cycling is really popular because it makes you feel good. Anyone can do it whether you have borrowed your Granddad's old steel frame bike or have a high end race bike.'
'It's a sport that is always growing in Norwich and now is a great time to get on your bike as the weather gets better,' Mr Garrod added.
Some 28 riders, a mix of regular punters at the pub and people who wanted to come down for the ride, took part in the inaugural 30 mile Brewery Tap Cycle Club ride.
Landlord Mark White said: 'There are so many cyclists who come to the pub and all the bar staff are into it.
'We're using the pub as a base so riders can come in for a coffee before setting off.'
- 1 WATCH: Taxi driver throws punch as narrow street causes aggro
- 2 Roads closed as armed police and dog units swoop on Norwich home
- 3 Cannabis factory discovered in Norwich home after police raid
- 4 Sign of the times: After 187 years jeweller Winsor Bishop changes name
- 5 City garden centre launches street food nights with popular vendors
- 6 Most desirable places to live in Norwich according to estate agents
- 7 WATCH: Shock for drivers as car goes the wrong way on A47
- 8 Cabbies could protest over lost £400 a month
- 9 'Disgusting!' Woman's fury over Simply Red toilets and access
- 10 'You owe us!': Furious holidaymakers demand compo
Iain Palmer the owner of Borwell Cycles, on Spencer Street, came down to the start of the ride to help check the riders' bikes out.
'It is our local so we thought we would pop down to help out and check people's tyre pressures and answer any technical questions they might have about their bikes,' Mr Palmer said.
'The image of cycling has certainly changed over the years. It used to be seen as a bit of an oddball sport, but since the Olympics it has really taken off,' he added.
The next Brewery Tap Cycle Club ride will take place on Sunday, May 17 meeting at 10am at the Fat Cat Brewery Tap pub on Sprowston Road.
Are you organising a community event? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.