Head of Newnham College, Cambridge, presents prizes awards at Norwich High School for Girls ceremony
- Credit: Archant
More than 400 prizes were presented to students at Norwich High School for their academic, sporting and musical achievements during the school's annual prizegiving
The event took place in St Andrew's Hall, Norwich, on Friday, with scores of students taking to the stage to collect their awards, to applause from hundreds of parents, school staff and governors.
Professor Dame Carol Black, principal of Newnham College, Cambridge, presented the prizes and certificates.
During her address, Dame Carol, former president of the Royal College of Physicians, told of the many turns in her life which led her into a career in medicine.
She said: 'As you go through life, be brave. You can put off some things and try some new paths. It's from my experience, and something I encourage in my students at Newnham, to go for it, to aspire, to have confidence and believe that you can do well.'
You may also want to watch:
Students in years throughout the senior school received awards for academic excellence and endeavour, contribution to school life, achievements in individual subjects and sports, and completing of assessments by the Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music and the Duke of Edinburgh's Award at Gold level.
The girls who sat their A-level and GCSEs this summer were also invited to collect their certificates.
- 1 Alan Carr enjoys 'delicious food' and leaves large tip at city restaurant
- 2 'Disaster from start to finish': Parents slam school for failing kids
- 3 See how Norwich Castle's keep is being transformed
- 4 'I don't feel safe' - Boss' fears just one month into shop job
- 5 Family piano shop founded in 1887 is leaving the city
- 6 Schoolchildren still without playing field after TWO YEARS
- 7 Tributes paid to 'amazing' Norwich shop worker
- 8 Power cut hits Norwich city centre
- 9 What might happen to former Debenhams store in city centre?
- 10 Power still out in parts of Norwich city centre six hours later
Headmaster Jason Morrow said: 'Thanks to the new Pope – Pope Francis – I have taken some time to learn about Francis of Assisi and I think he has a helpful sentiment for this occasion, not least because it also captures better than I ever could something of what I think makes the school and girls so inspiring to work with: 'Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.''
Head girl Emma Venier gave a vote of thanks, explaining that the event provided just a taste of the daily achievements of the students.
Did you hear Dame Carol's speech? Write us a letter to tell us what you thought.