Haunted house, KFC and car explosion - The 10 most popular stories read by you in 2016
We take a look back at some of our most popular stories of the year as 2016 draws to a close.
1. The Norwich house that’s so haunted even paranormal investigators won’t go inside
Just days before Halloween we told the story of one woman whose house in Norwich was so haunted the landlord called in paranormal experts to investigate the property. They said they could sense an angry male in the house who they thought had been a gang member that had killed people.
2. Norwich restaurant given ‘zero’ rating for food hygiene says it wants to be re-inspected
Merge received a zero rating from council inspectors in March over its food hygiene practices but it has reassured customers it has addressed the issues raised and the owner was keen to be rechecked as soon as possible. When the eatery was re-inspected they received a rating of five.
3. Nine people arrested following fight in Norwich involving 30 people
A total of nine people were arrested following on brawl on Motum Road in the city involving up to 30 people. A family row was believed to be behind it and footage of the fight as posted on social media.
4. KFC on Mile Cross Lane in Norwich closes amid hygiene concerns
The Kentucky Fried Chicken (KFC) restaurant on Mile Cross Lane in Norwich shut for a number of days in June after it failed to meet hygiene standards. KFC confirmed it had closed the outlet as it failed to meet “high quality standards”.
5. Norwich burger restaurant rolls prices back to 1976
Burger lovers celebrated their favourite dishes at 1976 prices when Zaks celebrated its 40th anniversary. Customers were able to buy burgers for either 50p or 56p, with proceeds going to children’s charity Connects & Co.
6. Five Guys to move into former Pizza Hut restaurant in Norwich city centre
American burger chain Five Guys announced it was to open its first restaurant in Norwich in the former Pizza Hut building on Orford Place. The restaurant opened in October.
7. Man who fell to death from Norwich bus station on Sunday named
A man who fell to his death from Norwich bus station in January was named as William Croft. An inquest found he died of multiple injuries.
8. Police searching for missing man find body in Danby Wood in Norwich
Police searching for missing man Anthony O’Connell discovered a body in Danby Wood in April. It was believed to be that of the 30-year-old.
9. New father describes his narrow escape from car explosion in Hellesdon
This was the moment a father of a one-week-old child watched in shock as his car burst into flames on a busy Hellesdon junction. The dramatic scene unfolded after the vehicle – a 2005 Smart Car – burst into flames in front of the Reepham Road traffic lights, at the Boundary.
10. Norwich ‘boy racer’ jailed after seriously injuring four friends who had just picked up a McDonald’s
Four victims of a boy race whose lives were shattered after they were seriously injured in a crash made a heartfelt plea for motorists to think more about how their driving could ruin lives. Danny Wright, 24, overtook a car and motorbike on the Boundary Road, Hellesdon, and was driving about 68mph in a 40mph zone just before his Ford Mondeo collided with a Vauxhall Corsa pulling out of McDonald’s.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Norwich Evening News. Click the link in the orange box below for details.