Half a million pounds awarded to volunteer training
More than half a million pounds has been awarded in Norfolk to help fund a volunteer training programme supporting local communities.
The grant will fund 490 16-year-olds on a seven to eight week programme to prepare them to do volunteer work in their local communities.
Norwich City Community Sports Foundation, formerly Football in the Community, is leading the consortium.
Jackie Thornton, the funding and development manager, said: 'I think it will be a fantastic experience for them. It will look fantastic on their CV. It's a nationally recognised thing now and volunteering is a really important part of giving back.'
Participants also have the opportunity to attend a two-week residential camp to get them ready to do volunteer work. Local communities can then nominate their community for support through volunteering for things such as re-developing a play area.
You may also want to watch:
Francis Maude, minister for the Cabinet Office, said that nationally over 11,000 will benefit from the scheme next summer and eventually the Government wants every 16-year-old to have the chance to take part.
The Norfolk National Citizen Service (NCS) consortium was one of the 12 organisations chosen from over 250 applicants and was awarded the �572,537 grant following the Department for Education announcement of the 2011 NCS plans.
- 1 Emma Thompson and Peaky Blinders actor to star in new film shot in Norwich
- 2 ‘Safeguarding’ teacher allowed vulnerable pupil to keep pills
- 3 Family of missing man informed after body found near lake
- 4 Road to close for three nights for £100,000 work
- 5 Big Issue seller on how lockdown pushed him closer to homelessness
- 6 Drama as police plane circles villages for missing person
- 7 Road closed after police incident in Norwich
- 8 Student and partner woke to see burglar at end of bed
- 9 Comedy in the Park and Britannia Pier shows among confirmed 2021 events
- 10 N&N staff first in UK to use pioneering Covid saliva tests
The other Norfolk charities and organisations involved are Norfolk County Council, The Benjamin Foundation, Momentum, YMCA, The Open Trust, Mancroft Advice Project (MAP) and All Trades Training.
For more information on the Norfolk NCS please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Do you have a story for the Evening News? Call reporter Donna-Louise Bishop on 01603 772438 or email email@example.com