Hainford schoolkids make wooded copse
Sam EmanuelChildren at Hainford Primary Partnership School have planted 30 saplings in a spiral design at the top of their school field.The 56 pupils worked in pairs to plant 10 rowan trees, 10 silver birches and 10 hornbeams, all donated by The Woodland Trust.Sam Emanuel
Children at Hainford Primary Partnership School have planted 30 saplings in a spiral design at the top of their school field.
The 56 pupils worked in pairs to plant 10 rowan trees, 10 silver birches and 10 hornbeams, all donated by The Woodland Trust.
Staff hope that in time, the spiral will provide a copse in which the children can play, but at the moment the saplings are protected by tree guards and supported with canes. The trees will be tended by the out of school hours learning (OSHL) Gardening Club.
Class teacher Carolyn Atherton said: 'I organised the event because it fits in well with our teaching about the rural environment and appreciation of our surroundings.
You may also want to watch:
'I was delighted with the way the children worked with such enthusiasm. They were thrilled to share the activity to enhance our school field and spoke of their excitement at the prospect of nurturing the trees and seeing them grow over the years.
'One Year 6 child commented that although she would be leaving the school this July, she would always remember that she helped to plant our new copse.'
- 1 'Disaster from start to finish': Parents slam school for failing kids
- 2 Power still out in parts of Norwich city centre six hours later
- 3 New £64,000 bus lane could cut 80 seconds off journeys
- 4 Resurfacing works to see closures on three busy city roads
- 5 Alan Carr enjoys 'delicious food' and leaves large tip at city restaurant
- 6 Family piano shop founded in 1887 is leaving the city
- 7 'Diabolical' - Fury over trees felled for road widening scheme
- 8 People in Norwich fined £21k for failing to pay for prescriptions
- 9 See how Norwich Castle's keep is being transformed
- 10 Roadworks to be aware of in Norwich this week