Greens name their candidate for Norwich North
Sarah HallThe Green party have named the candidate they hope will unseat Norwich MP Chloe Smith in the forthcoming General Election.Sarah Hall
The Green Party has named the candidate it hopes will unseat Norwich MP Chloe Smith in the general election.
Former Norwich city councillor Jessica Goldfinch, pictured, was selected to fight for Norwich North after a hustings and selection meeting.
The 43-year-old, who works as a teaching assistant in Norwich, said: "I feel so proud to represent the Green Party in Norwich North for the next general election.
"I have come to know a lot passionate and wonderful people, from all walks of life, through my work in the constituency. Many of these people struggle through some very difficult circumstances and I would be honoured to serve them as the Norwich North MP."
You may also want to watch:
Ms Goldfinch, a single mother with one daughter, lives in Connaught Road and has been in Norwich for 12 years. She served on the city council representing Nelson ward between 2003 and 2006.
The Green Party has opened a 'shop' in Dove Street in Norwich and people have been encouraged to drop in to discuss issues with candidates and councillors.
- 1 Hopes raised former pub could become community hub
- 2 The areas where Covid rates have fallen the fastest since lockdown began
- 3 Before and after: How has Norwich changed over the years?
- 4 Former village pub for sale as home
- 5 Up and coming Norwich musician reaches number 13 in UK charts
- 6 'Accidents waiting to happen' - Mum vows not to give up 20mph fight
- 7 Giant Victorian underground reservoir marks supplying city for 150 years
- 8 Opposition grows over charges to park in Norwich parks
- 9 'We're all shocked' - Butchers shop attacked by vandals
- 10 The secrets and scandals of a former Norwich hotel
Adrian Ramsay, the deputy leader of the Green Party nationally, is challenging Charles Clarke in Norwich South and stepped down as leader of the Green group at City Hall to focus on his campaign.
Next month, the Green Party will select candidates to challenge for the Broadland, Great Yarmouth and South Norfolk constituencies.