Grand reopening for Norwich ice rink
Sam EmanuelNorwich's only permanent ice rink was officially reopened this weekend following �300,000 of improvements, which have been made to the building.Sam Emanuel
Norwich's only permanent ice rink has been officially reopened after �300,000 of improvements to the complex.
Planet Ice, at the former Norwich Sport Village in Drayton Road, Hellesdon, was closed in July and then taken over by Arena Group UK, which runs nine other ice rinks across the country.
Although the rink has been open to the public since last Christmas Eve, it was officially opened on Saturday by Radio Norwich presenters Pete Bolam and Tina James, who cut a ribbon and launched a two-for-one skating offer for the day and for yesterday.
The new owner has spent the six-figure sum modifying the building, including changing the reception and skate hire area, buying new skates and rewiring the complex.
You may also want to watch:
Spokesman Chris Carpenter said: "The previous companies who have owned it have closed it down and opened it and closed it and opened it, and we want people to know that we are the biggest ice rink operating company in Europe and we are here to stay.
"We're having the official opening now because we have now got all the systems for our community-based programmes in place: working with local schools, the birthday party programme and so on.
- 1 Teenager in hospital after being stabbed in group attack
- 2 Green light for more than 250 homes on edge of Norwich
- 3 Comedy in the Park and Britannia Pier shows among confirmed 2021 events
- 4 Five teenagers arrested after boy stabbed in Norwich
- 5 Concern for man who has gone missing
- 6 Bar for sale after businessman scraps reopening project
- 7 Award-winning Norwich doctor - 'racism made me change my name'
- 8 'Quite an adventure' - Missing owl found in kitchen 20 miles away
- 9 Road closed after police incident in Norwich
- 10 Plans for 130 homes and GP surgery backed, despite 'predatory' claim
"We want people to know we are here because a lot of people don't seem to know, and it's a real shame they are missing out on this facility."
The rink originally opened in October 2006 but was hit by a string of problems and first closed just months later. It reopened and closed several times before eventually shutting in summer 2009, when previous owners Trevor Watts and Jonathan Gray are thought to have put the business up for sale with a �300,000 tag.
� For more information about the rink, go to www.planetice.co.uk and click on Norwich, or call 01603 416600.
� Are you reopening a business in and around the city?
If so, call Sam Emanuel on 01603 772438 or email firstname.lastname@example.org