Grand reopening for Norwich ice rink
Sam EmanuelNorwich's only permanent ice rink was officially reopened this weekend following �300,000 of improvements, which have been made to the building.Sam Emanuel
Norwich's only permanent ice rink has been officially reopened after �300,000 of improvements to the complex.
Planet Ice, at the former Norwich Sport Village in Drayton Road, Hellesdon, was closed in July and then taken over by Arena Group UK, which runs nine other ice rinks across the country.
Although the rink has been open to the public since last Christmas Eve, it was officially opened on Saturday by Radio Norwich presenters Pete Bolam and Tina James, who cut a ribbon and launched a two-for-one skating offer for the day and for yesterday.
The new owner has spent the six-figure sum modifying the building, including changing the reception and skate hire area, buying new skates and rewiring the complex.
Spokesman Chris Carpenter said: "The previous companies who have owned it have closed it down and opened it and closed it and opened it, and we want people to know that we are the biggest ice rink operating company in Europe and we are here to stay.
"We're having the official opening now because we have now got all the systems for our community-based programmes in place: working with local schools, the birthday party programme and so on.
- 1 Sweet Briar Road to reopen TODAY
- 2 Norwich pub selling out on Sundays with new head chef's roast dinners
- 3 Norwich pub to host street party with Caribbean BBQ, DJs and stalls
- 4 Chaos at major airports sees demand for Norwich flights increase 400pc
- 5 Rumours Sweet Briar Road will close again QUASHED by council
- 6 EXCLUSIVE: US tycoons in Norwich City investment talks
- 7 New Tesco store opens in city centre
- 8 'Barcelona-style' redevelopment of Next store mooted
- 9 Revealed: Your favourite fish and chip shop in Norfolk
- 10 M&S to close 32 stores as part of move away from town centres
"We want people to know we are here because a lot of people don't seem to know, and it's a real shame they are missing out on this facility."
The rink originally opened in October 2006 but was hit by a string of problems and first closed just months later. It reopened and closed several times before eventually shutting in summer 2009, when previous owners Trevor Watts and Jonathan Gray are thought to have put the business up for sale with a �300,000 tag.
� For more information about the rink, go to www.planetice.co.uk and click on Norwich, or call 01603 416600.
� Are you reopening a business in and around the city?
If so, call Sam Emanuel on 01603 772438 or email firstname.lastname@example.org