Golden memories for the Hewett class of ‘62.
The search is on for the members of the Sixth Form at the new Hewett School in Norwich as they head back to the classroom
The Class of '62 are going back to school in Norwich for a golden anniversary reunion. These boys were members of the first sixth form at the new Hewett school which opened its doors in the late 1950s.
The man who sent in the photographs is Dr David Lee who went on to became a teacher and now lives at Cambridge where he still works as an education consultant.
If you are in the pictures then he would love to hear from anyone interested in going along to the reunion at the school on Tuesday, July 17.
Since using one of the photographs a year ago he has tracked down six of the former pupils who are now looking forward to going back to the school. Some have passed away while others may be living abroad.
'The current teachers have set aside time for us to visit the school and meet with some students,' said David.
'It was felt that with some 300 years of life experience today's students might enjoy hearing about the achievements of former students!'
- 1 City folk baffled after being barricaded into their own homes
- 2 All you need to know ahead of The Killers concert at Carrow Road
- 3 Fears Spurs fans may infiltrate home end at Norwich City match
- 4 Lloyds to close bank in Norwich suburb
- 5 New Japanese bar and restaurant plans to open in Norwich next month
- 6 Do you own one of these toys which are selling for £1,000?
- 7 Man arrested after hundreds of cannabis plants seized in city
- 8 The top 7 fish and chip shops in Norwich according to Tripadvisor
- 9 One-bed maisonette is up for sale in one of the coolest parts of Norwich
- 10 Controversial work to weld bridge shut cancelled after legal row
The Hewett took pupils from the old Junior Technical School which has been based at the city college.
'I am sure we were all excited about moving to a brand new building off Hall Road and wearing a bright green uniform,' said David.
In the class picture we have 17 of the first and second year sixth form students.
'The 12 of us who formed the lower sixth really enjoyed our time at the school under the headship of Stan Hesketh,' he said.
David organised dramatic productions for the year group and they also ran a number of dances to raise money for charity.
'It was my role to invite a guest to present prizes for the best dancers. I remember inviting Ken Nethercott, the Norwich City goalkeeper, after the famous 1959 cup run. He was a very shy man and took a great deal of persuading... but he came,' he recalled.
He would have been a real hero in those days – especially for the boys in the football team who are also pictured.
Among those attending the reunion are Ivan Stubbs, Mickey Rogers, Tony Jermyn, David Lee, Adrian Huggins and, hopefully, Andy Whorwood and Marlene Jervis (widow of Jim Jervis).
Those they are looking for include John Ellis, Peter Dawson, Tony Savage, Robin Edwards, Anthony Chase, Keith Mills, Luke Moore and Lennie Thurston.
If you interested in attending email David at email@example.com or call him 07860 280632.